Re: Oblatky/oplatky Beyond Slovakia

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 50 , Nov 6, 2009
      I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio.

      The department store there called Strouss had a bakery.

      The sold something they called a "Seven Layer Cake".

      Each layer of cake like pastry was topped with chocolate
      filling.

      Seven layers of cake and seven layers of filling.

      I think that in the Cleveland area Higbee Department store
      offered the same treat.

      Does anyone from Ohio remember the "Seven Layer Cake".

      Greg

      > I remember walking into a German store years ago and finding a box of "oblaten", wafers about 10-12" in diameter for making a cake (you spread each wafer (don't know the signular in German) with Nutella (and jam, I think), then put it all together and ice it with a chocolate(?) icing.

      > All opinions my own

      > Oplaki is International....
      >
      > I found the following..
      >
      > Greg
      >

      > This traditional Scandinavian dessert cookie has a very delicate taste. Freshly out of the iron, it is hot and soft, and easy to roll into a cone. It quickly cools, and hardens into a crisp membrane that is filled with fruit, ice cream, chocolate and other sweets.
      >
      > The krumkake iron produces wafers thin enough for pressing and baking "ostie" (hosts, or edible wafer paper rounds), however too thin for baking pizzelles (they would crumble too easily).
      >

      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Martin:
      > >
      > > If someone on Slovak-World has some time on their hands,
      > > It would be fascinating to see what Google says about
      > > the word.
      > >
      > > Type in Oblatka and all variations into Google and get a
      > > report on "most common world-wide modern usage".
      > >
      > > With quite a few variant modern usages, it would be most
      > > interesting to see which one prevails.
      > >
      > > Usage drives spelling and language.
      > >
      > > Greg
      > >

      > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "votrubam" <votrubam@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It's only in the past decade or so that the Linguistic Institute began to accept _opla'tka_ as standard along with _obla'tka_. Only the latter one was considered correct earlier, but both occurred in colloquial Slovak.
      > > >
      > > > One in a collection of short stories published by Martin Kukucin in 1892 had _oblatky_ in its title, was often mentioned in literature classes, and became a model that has been "teaching" people which of the two words is supposed to be correct.
      > > >

      > > > Martin

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 9, 2009
        Oblaten is German