Re: Pcoline

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
      Helen

      It almost makes Slovak-Americans eager to overpay their taxes.

      Thanks again,

      Greg

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
        I note the _almost_. ;-)

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
          If she were single, I wouldn't file a return for a little bit of my own money back.

          ... almost.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
            Thank you. That helps! Especially the post WWII village devastation info. I was wondering why my grandparents house in Pcoline and my uncles house in Zaulzice had the same design. I guess it was a post war govn't funded rebuild plan?

            ________________________________
            Here's a little more info from the _Vlastivedny slovnik obci na Slovensku_.

            population:
            1869 -- 736
            1880 -- 729
            1890 -- 804
            1900 -- 913
            1910 -- 879
            1921 -- 912
            1930 -- 1,011
            1940 - 1,039
            1948 -- 894
            1961 -- 982
            1970 -- 958

            The community was first mentioned in a written document in 1557. It belonged to nobility in Humenne; in the 18th century it belonged to the Csakyov family, and starting in the middle of the 19th century it belonged to the Rollovci family and others. In 1557, the community had 11.5 portals; in 1715 it had 52 abandoned and 18 inhabited homes. In 1720 it had 2 mills, in 1787 it had 135 homes and 948 residents, and in 1828 it had 154 homes and 1,160 residents. The inhabitants farmed, raised livestock, worked in the forests, and made charcoal. In 1831, part of the population emigrated to the Lower Land ("Dol'na zem" was the term used in the past to describe the southern regions of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. < http://www.radio cz/en/article/ 72162 >) There was another emigration 1900-10. In the fall of 1944, the community was partially destroyed. [The rest of the "history" has to do with communist party activity.]

            I hope this helps.
            {All opinions and mistakes my own.}

            >>> "gregory_kopchak" <greg@iarelative. com> 11/4/2009 7:53 AM >>>
            Some names for the village over the past years were:

            Pcoline, Ptsolina, Ptscholina, Pcsolina, and Mehesflava.

            The last name was the name given the village by the
            Magnarization in the early 20th century.

            Greg

            --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Milan" <coolkeytool@ ...> wrote:

            > I am doing a little geneology which has lead me to questions about my grandparents home town of Pcoline. If anyone can tell me anything about the town of Pcoline Slovakia I would appreciate it.
            >
            > Milan Olle

          • Milan
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
              Are there any members from the village of Pcoline?

              Milan