Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Festoval, U. of Pittsburgh

  • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
      I think that everyone involved deserves a round of virtual applause... And Ron especially for his costume! I am still overtired from the experience. It was so worth it! Martin and Chris have outdone themselves year over year. Helene was great, as always...
      Ben

      From: "Ron" <amiak27@...>
      Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:41:13
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak Festoval, U. of Pittsburgh

      I did make it to the Festival with my sister Sue & had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the people I did; the main failure was in not making a special effort to catch Martin Votruba to say hello. I should have know he would be a very busy man & running around to keep things running smoothly.

      The Pirate Party the night before was a great gathering and a more personal way to get to meet people. The talent show and fujara playing particularly were enjoyable. It was great to hear the instruments live. I have one job offer from Ghost Busters since I have some distinctive photos showing the cob webs that momentarily stifled Dr. Q's fujara. Those are tall instruments!

      Thanks to everyone who put out so much effort to make the Slovak Fest and the Party so enjoyable.

      Even driving the streets of Pittsburgh is not so bad when you have a driver with good nerves, a full time navigator and a good GPS!

      > The times of the performances at the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival are here (follow the link), with a downloadable, printable version for posting or personal reference:
      >
      > <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
        A short explanation.

        Ben was singing the "standard" fujara song "Ej, Svietila Zornička" (Little Star Shining) and I was huffing and puffing the best I could to not detract from him. Along about the second verse, my fujara stopped - - - I mean just nothing except the sound of blowing wind. Ben thought it was the fear of all fujara players; the auxiliary pipe cracked. However, upon further examination, it turned out that some spiderwebs had covered the fipple (sound hole) of my fujara. Sooooooo, after a brief clean up, I continued to huff and puff and Ben carried me through.

        It was nice to see all of the Slovak World folks again and particularly to meet Ron.

        Dr. "Q"