Performance schedule at the Slovak Festoval, U. of Pittsburgh

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2009
      The times of the performances at the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival are here (follow the link), with a downloadable, printable version for posting or personal reference:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

      Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh
      Time, room, and building (Cathedral of Learning):

      1:00 Opening, Ben Sorensen plays the fujara

      1:10 Pitt Carpathian Ensemble

      1:30 Singing Revilak family of Bardejov, Slovakia

      2:50 Parade of Krojs, Helene Cincebeaux - Slovak folk dresses

      3:00 PAS (Pittsburgh Area Slovaks)

      3:40 Slavjane folk ensemble

      4:15 Pittsburgh Junior Slovakians and Pittsburgh Slovakians

      Martin
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
        I did make it to the Festival with my sister Sue & had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the people I did; the main failure was in not making a special effort to catch Martin Votruba to say hello. I should have know he would be a very busy man & running around to keep things running smoothly.

        The Pirate Party the night before was a great gathering and a more personal way to get to meet people. The talent show and fujara playing particularly were enjoyable. It was great to hear the instruments live. I have one job offer from Ghost Busters since I have some distinctive photos showing the cob webs that momentarily stifled Dr. Q's fujara. Those are tall instruments!

        Thanks to everyone who put out so much effort to make the Slovak Fest and the Party so enjoyable.

        Even driving the streets of Pittsburgh is not so bad when you have a driver with good nerves, a full time navigator and a good GPS!

        > The times of the performances at the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival are here (follow the link), with a downloadable, printable version for posting or personal reference:
        >
        > <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009

          Post some photos, Ron -- and yeah, I was sorry I couldn't make it this year -- it's a great event.

          Caye

[...]

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "votrubam" <votrubam@.. .> wrote:

          > The times of the performances at the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival are here (follow the link), with a downloadable, printable version for posting or personal reference:
          >
          > <http://www.pitt edu/~votruba/ currentinfo/ currentinfo. html>

        • Gil Kubancsek
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
            I also attended the Slovak Festival at the University of Pittsburgh on Sunday. The ethnic food
            was superb, the entertainment was tremendous, and meeting several folks who I
            only knew on the Internet at Slovak World & Slovak Roots was a real treat. Also seeing and talking to friends from previous festivals was a rewarding experience.

            The eye catching presentation of their products and services by all the vendors was very much appreciated.

            My sincere thanks to Christine & Martin for the super job in arranging and presenting the many activities at the festival.

            I hope to see many more of you at next years Slovak Festival.

            Gil Kubancsek

            ________________________________

          • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
              I think that everyone involved deserves a round of virtual applause... And Ron especially for his costume! I am still overtired from the experience. It was so worth it! Martin and Chris have outdone themselves year over year. Helene was great, as always...
              Ben

              From: "Ron" <amiak27@...>
              Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:41:13
              To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

              I did make it to the Festival with my sister Sue & had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the people I did; the main failure was in not making a special effort to catch Martin Votruba to say hello. I should have know he would be a very busy man & running around to keep things running smoothly.

              The Pirate Party the night before was a great gathering and a more personal way to get to meet people. The talent show and fujara playing particularly were enjoyable. It was great to hear the instruments live. I have one job offer from Ghost Busters since I have some distinctive photos showing the cob webs that momentarily stifled Dr. Q's fujara. Those are tall instruments!

              Thanks to everyone who put out so much effort to make the Slovak Fest and the Party so enjoyable.

              Even driving the streets of Pittsburgh is not so bad when you have a driver with good nerves, a full time navigator and a good GPS!

              > The times of the performances at the Annual Slovak Heritage Festival are here (follow the link), with a downloadable, printable version for posting or personal reference:
              >
              > <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
                A short explanation.

                Ben was singing the "standard" fujara song "Ej, Svietila Zornička" (Little Star Shining) and I was huffing and puffing the best I could to not detract from him. Along about the second verse, my fujara stopped - - - I mean just nothing except the sound of blowing wind. Ben thought it was the fear of all fujara players; the auxiliary pipe cracked. However, upon further examination, it turned out that some spiderwebs had covered the fipple (sound hole) of my fujara. Sooooooo, after a brief clean up, I continued to huff and puff and Ben carried me through.

                It was nice to see all of the Slovak World folks again and particularly to meet Ron.

                Dr. "Q"