travel

  • Murph
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
      Hello all

      My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are considering a stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am seeking advice on the best flights options we may have for this trip. We would be leaving from either the NYC or DC area. I don't think there are direct flight, so which city is the best to pass through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the bestway to travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is actually in Koscise).
      Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is my families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the members have for places or sites to visit.
      Thanks
      Marilyn
    • byza7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
        Marilyn,

        A few yrs ago we visited my grandparents village (Slovinky) in Eastern
        Slovak Republic. Note that Slovinky is in the mountains shortly West of
        Presov and Kosice.

        We had to fly into Kosice airport and stayed in a Kosice hotel and then
        drove to the village with our interpreter from Presov. From what I
        understand there is no airport in Presov.

        From what I understand there is train service from Bratislava in the West
        to the Presov/Kosice in the East but I could be wrong.

        Your visit to those village will be worth every bit of effort.

        David Novak

        In a message dated 10/4/2009 1:45:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        mjmurph99@... writes:

        Hello all

        My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are considering a
        stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am seeking advice on the best
        flights options we may have for this trip. We would be leaving from either
        the NYC or DC area. I don't think there are direct flight, so which city is
        the best to pass through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the
        bestway to travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is
        actually in Koscise).
        Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is my
        families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the members have for
        places or sites to visit.
        Thanks
        Marilyn

        _Messages in this topic _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/message/17068;_ylc=X3oDMTM2NWNxcnVrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZA
        MxNzA1MTAzNTYyBG1zZ0lkAzI3Mzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg
        R0cGNJZAMxNzA2OA--) (10) _Reply (via web post) _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNWhlYW1hBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4
        MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBG1zZ0lkAzI3Mzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUD
        MTI1NDY3ODMzMg--?act=reply&messageNum=27397) | _Start a new topic _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZnE5cDZ2BF9TAzk3MzU5N
        zE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3Rpb
        WUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--)
        _Messages_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN3UxcG40BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwN
        mdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) | _Files_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdW05NzZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdy
        cElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2Nz
        gzMzI-) | _Photos_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZ3E5cHR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTY
        yBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) | _Links_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcmhoMWMyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BG
        dycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAz
        EyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Database_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjODE5MXVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
        xNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Polls_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmazhwZmdkBF9TAzk3Mz
        U5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBH
        N0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Members_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZTFlN2xuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc
        3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) |
        _Calendar_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJka3Z0YWMyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdH
        IEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy)

        )
        _Change settings via the Web_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWJldW9wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
        1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) (Yahoo! ID
        required)
        Change settings via email: _Switch delivery to Daily Digest_
        (mailto:Slovak-World-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest) | _Switch
        format to Traditional_
        (mailto:Slovak-World-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional)
        _Visit Your Group _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcjIwdHEyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYw
        NmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
        (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe _

        Recent Activity
        * 2
        _New Members_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDM4aGxnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNl
        YwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-)

        _Visit Your Group _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World;_ylc=X3oDMTJlanJsdXVnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYw
        N2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--)

        Give Back
        _Yahoo! for Good_
        (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtYmFmMGR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN
        icmFuZARzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http://brand.yahoo.com/
        forgood)
        Get inspired
        by a good cause.

        Y! Toolbar
        _Get it Free!_
        (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJvdWNqbThqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b2
        9sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http://toolbar.yahoo.c
        om/?.cpdl=ygrps)
        easy 1-click access
        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups
        _Start a group_
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJvcjNycWZmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHN
        sawNncm91cHMyBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-)
        in 3 easy steps.
        Connect with others.

        .

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
          Best bet fly to frankfurt or London and then to Vienna.

          Been to Brezovica nad Torysou this summer. Quite nice village and
          great church. Some strange people though. I took some pictures of
          some houses and the road was dead end. On my return I was kind of
          flagged down by an elderly lady as to why I took picture of her
          house. I was just taking pictures of houses, church etc. Just for
          fun. Well and I left. After my return to Canada my car rental company
          emailed me telling me that police is looking for me and they like to
          know where I was at 4 PM on certain day. I knew exactly as it was
          Friday before Levoca's pilgrimage. The story is that the lady has
          reported me to the local police for taking picture of her house and
          of course Slovak police has nothing better to do and they found from
          the license plate who is the owner and from the rental company also
          who rented the car on that day. Yes they did follow up on it. The
          story they told rental company was that there are strange things
          happening in the area and that people take pictures of houses and
          market them without owner even knowing about it and making fake
          sales. Very strange I may add.

          Vladi

        • bjgolias1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
            All,

            What Vlad writes about is true. There are scammers out there trying to
            make a quick buck on pretending to rent vacation homes in USA and other
            countries. In the USA I've read they actually get the title transferred and it
            is up to the original homeowner to prove he really owns the home. The
            unsuspecting person rents or buys and shows up at the home. That is when they
            figured out they've been had. These sales take place over the internet and
            they post the outside pictures of the homes and they post fake pictures of
            the insides of the homes.

            Barb

          • marilyn murphy
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
              good to know, but we will be in the village with family from Presov who also farm in Brezovica so I do not anticipate any issues

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                > unsuspecting person rents or buys and shows up at the home.
                > That is when they figured out they've been had.

                In 1931 such a Czech impresario managed to "sell" a castle to an American businessman:

                <http://tinyurl.com/ydvedau>

                Needless to say, the castle wasn't his. (He later became an informer for the Nazis.)

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2009
                  very interesting.

                  At 10:44 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:

                  >Hello all

                  >My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are

                  >considering a stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am

                  >seeking advice on the best flights options we may have for this

                  >trip. We would be leaving from either the NYC or DC area. I don't

                  >think there are direct flight, so which city is the best to pass

                  >through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the bestway to

                  >travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is

                  >actually in Koscise).

                  >Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is

                  >my families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the

                  >members have for places or sites to visit.

                  >Thanks

                  >Marilyn

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2009

                    Sounds as if they just tried to scare you -- as long as you don't owe a fine or have a court date you must return for, I'd say -- don't worry, but I love the story.

                    Caye