Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
      Vazeny Pan Profesor Martin,

      Thanks a load, that was very interesting and enlightening.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
        I am asking if you have seen this info:http:
        //slovensko.com/forum/read.php?3,29931

        I Quote:

        Looking for Krutka/Hanecak Family - Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia
        Posted by: majaslovenka (IP Logged)
        Date: Wednesday, 31 August 2005 05:06
        Hi, my name is Maria Krutkova and I'm from Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia.
        I'm 23 years old & currently living in New Jersey , USA – (for the past 8 years).
        I'm aware that in early 1900's my relatives came to the USA to help the family
        back home financially. Not all of them returned to Vysne Ruzbachy. I'm looking
        for anyone with name Krutka/Krutkova/Hanecak/Hanecakova living anywhere in
        the world. If you have any information about anyone named Krutka or Hanecak
        – or if you are aware that your relatives may have come from Vysne Ruzbachy,
        Slovakia/Hungary please send me an E-mail.

        I would like to organize a family tree - but without some more information
        – I’ll not get far!!! I believe that I deserve to know information about my
        family – hopefully one day my dream will come true and I’ll be able to
        organize our family tree that will include generations much further that
        my grandparents can remember. "I’m very proud to carry the name Krutka!!!"

        Also if you're looking for any relatives that came from Vysne Ruzbachy,
        Nizne Ruzbachy or surrounding villages - don't hesitate and send me
        an E-mail as well. I do visit Slovakia quite often so I will be able
        to go the local people and find out helpful information for you
        (since I do speak Slovak fluently;). If I can assist you in anyway
        in this matter, I will gladly do so... Drop me quick E-mail and I'll
        see what I can do. My assistance is free of charge of course!

        Take Care & be proud of your Slovak heritage.
        Don’t ever forget where your roots are – in the great land
        that hosts hard working, caring and loving people.

        GOD BLESS YOU.

        The Best Wishes – Maria Krutkova – NJ, USA

        Vilo

        .

      • Allison Batchelor
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
          Vilo-- Thank you. I have seen that note and I found Maria's website and

          and the email address there did not work. I found another on the web and

          wrote again but have had no luck. Do you know how else I could contact Maria?

          Clearly, she is likely a relative!

          Allison

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
            Hi Allison - did the e mail i sent you for Maria Krutkova work?

            helene

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
              Thanks again Helene--but no it did not work. I tried her at gmail also but no luck so far. If anyone

              knows how to get in touch with Maria Krutkova, please let me know. I am sure she is related to us. THanks.

              Allison

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              From: helenezx@...
              Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:47:21 -0700

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
                Folks here are so dang helpful.   .. .and smart!

                From: votrubam@yahoo. com

                Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000

                > that Smij is a Polish name.

                Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

                > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written

                > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not

                > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

                A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

                > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next

                > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

                Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

                > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

                This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

                http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/