Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
      > that Smij is a Polish name.

      Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

      > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written
      > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not
      > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

      A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

      > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next
      > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

      Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

      > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

      This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

      Martin
    • Allison Batchelor
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
        Thank you for your insights, Martin.
        Our next step is getting the Church records from LDS. If we can see who was born that day/baptized that week in Lackova, we will likely discover his real name.

        Allison

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: votrubam@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000
        Subject: [Slovak-World] Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia

        > that Smij is a Polish name.

        Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

        > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written
        > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not
        > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

        A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

        > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next
        > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

        Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

        > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

        This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
          I researched Smij, in Ellis Island. Iva Smij, arrived in 1909. He came to visit his Brother in Law, Petro Gula, in Willkesboro PA.
          His father name is not clear on the manifest but could be Jurko Smij.
          His Record lists his nationality as Austrian Ruthenian and last place of residence as Galicia.

          This tells ME that he is a Rusin and probably a Lemko, since they inhabited Galica. That brings me back to my original suggestion about Cohoes, NY Greek Catholic and "Russian" Orthodox church records.

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
            Iva is IVAN

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
              This proves that smij is a Lemko name.:
              http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
              From: votrubam@yahoo. com
              Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000

              > that Smij is a Polish name.

              Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

              > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written
              > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not
              > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

              A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

              > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next
              > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

              Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

              > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

              This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

              http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                This is new but I could not send it as "new".
                Dear Martin,

                A friend wrote and asked "do you know what "fedor" means? i've known Fedorkos, Fedoreks etc.

                I responded: Fedor\f(e)-dor\is of Germanorigin. Variant of Theodore(Greek) "giftfrom God". Author Fyodor Dostoevsky.

                Then he asked:so its something similar to Theodore? what do the "ko" and "ek" add? "of"?

                I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain the "meaning" or "reason why"

                Can you Please help?

                Thanx!

                Vilko :0) :0) :0)

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                  > what do the "ko" and "ek" add?
                  >
                  > I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain
                  > the "meaning" or "reason why"

                  Here's a link to an earlier discussion, Vilko:

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
                    Vazeny Pan Profesor Martin,

                    Thanks a load, that was very interesting and enlightening.

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________
                    > I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain
                    > the "meaning" or "reason why"

                    Here's a link to an earlier discussion, Vilko:

                    <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Slovak- World/message/ 14653>

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
                      I am asking if you have seen this info:http:
                      //slovensko.com/forum/read.php?3,29931

                      I Quote:

                      Looking for Krutka/Hanecak Family - Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia
                      Posted by: majaslovenka (IP Logged)
                      Date: Wednesday, 31 August 2005 05:06
                      Hi, my name is Maria Krutkova and I'm from Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia.
                      I'm 23 years old & currently living in New Jersey , USA – (for the past 8 years).
                      I'm aware that in early 1900's my relatives came to the USA to help the family
                      back home financially. Not all of them returned to Vysne Ruzbachy. I'm looking
                      for anyone with name Krutka/Krutkova/Hanecak/Hanecakova living anywhere in
                      the world. If you have any information about anyone named Krutka or Hanecak
                      – or if you are aware that your relatives may have come from Vysne Ruzbachy,
                      Slovakia/Hungary please send me an E-mail.

                      I would like to organize a family tree - but without some more information
                      – I’ll not get far!!! I believe that I deserve to know information about my
                      family – hopefully one day my dream will come true and I’ll be able to
                      organize our family tree that will include generations much further that
                      my grandparents can remember. "I’m very proud to carry the name Krutka!!!"

                      Also if you're looking for any relatives that came from Vysne Ruzbachy,
                      Nizne Ruzbachy or surrounding villages - don't hesitate and send me
                      an E-mail as well. I do visit Slovakia quite often so I will be able
                      to go the local people and find out helpful information for you
                      (since I do speak Slovak fluently;). If I can assist you in anyway
                      in this matter, I will gladly do so... Drop me quick E-mail and I'll
                      see what I can do. My assistance is free of charge of course!

                      Take Care & be proud of your Slovak heritage.
                      Don’t ever forget where your roots are – in the great land
                      that hosts hard working, caring and loving people.

                      GOD BLESS YOU.

                      The Best Wishes – Maria Krutkova – NJ, USA

                      Vilo

                      .

                    • Allison Batchelor
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                        Vilo-- Thank you. I have seen that note and I found Maria's website and

                        and the email address there did not work. I found another on the web and

                        wrote again but have had no luck. Do you know how else I could contact Maria?

                        Clearly, she is likely a relative!

                        Allison

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                          Hi Allison - did the e mail i sent you for Maria Krutkova work?

                          helene

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                            Thanks again Helene--but no it did not work. I tried her at gmail also but no luck so far. If anyone

                            knows how to get in touch with Maria Krutkova, please let me know. I am sure she is related to us. THanks.

                            Allison

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                            From: helenezx@...
                            Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:47:21 -0700

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
                              Folks here are so dang helpful.   .. .and smart!

                              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                              From: votrubam@yahoo. com

                              Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000