Re: [Slovak-World] New Slovak-World Members

  • bjgolias1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
      The towns I am researching are really close together in Saros - Krasna
      Luka, Sarisske Dravce, and now I need to research Poloma. My Podsedly and
      Golias families inter-married through out the years and I know there are cousin
      marriages between 2nd cousins, 3rds, etc. The tale is that there was an
      elder in the family/s that determined if the cousins were too close to marry
      - they did this to keep the farms in the family. Surnames I am
      researching are Golias, Podsedly(Americanized to Poshedly/Pochedly/Posedly), Novy
      Sedlak, Marusa, Hovancik, Slaminka, Hurtuk, Gensur, Misencik. I've only been
      researching for 10 years.

      Barb

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
        We added 10 new members today.

        If you are new, let us know who you are.

        Greg
      • Katie Gertz
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
          Hello, I'm new to the group. My name is Kate. My father's parents immigrated
          in 1902 from different villages in what was then Hungary but now is
          Slovakia. They settled in Braddock, PA. I don't know much about their life
          in their homeland so I joined this group and others looking for help to find
          my roots, as they say!

          Looking forward to learning more about the life my grandparents and their
          descendants lived before coming to America.

          Kate

        • Marycay Doolittle
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
            Welcome Katie. This is an interesting group and a lot of different info is shared, genealogy, traditions or recipes. Plus there are extras from those who blog or own a business. They share information and wonderful photos so at least I get to see places that I'll probably never get to see in person or I can watch a video explaining how to make some traditional Slovak dish.

            Marycay

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
              Welcome, Katie.  If you have specific questions, some members can help.  Others w/ point you in the right direction.  And still others w/ offer their experience.

              Chuck

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 23, 2011
                We added a couple new members last week.

                One was a Slovak interested in putting her grandmother's
                Slovak recipes on line.

                Seems to fit our current hot topic...

                Another was a Lutheran priest looking for help on writing
                a history of Lutheran Slovaks.

                Neither has made their first posting.

                Greg