Re: [Slovak-World] Re: gift traditions

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
      Chuck,

      It has been my practice to send "meat and cheese" baskets to those
      whose hospitality I have enjoyed on my visits to Slovakia. I arrange to
      have them made up and sent by Dan Kisha (daniel.kisha@...). The
      baskets are made up in Slovakia. Dan then tells me what the cost is and
      I remit payment to his bank in Maryland.

      Bill Brna

      On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:34:39 -0700 (PDT) LongJohn Wayne
      <daxthewarrior@...> writes:

      Does the group have any suggestions for gifts to thank families (some I
      did not even know until I arrived) for their hospitality?

      I am assembling a care package to show my gratitude.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
        I have found that items from my own locality or something 'typically american' are always appreciated.  My spouse is part Ojibwa so we frequently send (or bring along) american indian items such as  small dream- catchers.  Since I am from PA, sometimes we take Hershey products, crayola if there are kids & slinky's.  Also a calendar with pictures from my state or region, photography books of the region with some bit of history, I have also made small albums of the family in the US thru the generations.

        I was curious for the answer myself, but it seems that there isn't a
        serious one to come. I don't have a traditional Slovak gift, but I can
        suggest what I've now done 4 times as godmother and has become a
        tradition in my family. I have bought a (gold) religous medallion with a
        chain. Either a patron saint, guardian angel, cross. I pin just the
        medallion on the christening gown and it's worn through the service - you
        may even have the priest bless it. then the child's mother wears it until
        the child is old enough to wear it his/her self.

        just another idea. hope it helps.

        --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, cerrunos1@.. . wrote:

        > Wow... So close! Perhaps a bible and rosaries, depending on the age.
        Aside from that, I am not aware of any hard-fast traditions.

        > Ben

        Medical Billing Careers
        Click here for a Medical Billing Career. Get free info & Apply Today!
        http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=V5IzAKJE7X_ XR4uXXuD6YAAAJ1D 4BwlR4ftpi7iFil_ CpFskAAQAAAAFAAA AAHxhGT8AAAMlAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAABN ldAAAAAA=

      • jenna-m
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
          I just sent off a "thank you for your hospitality" package to one family who was just very warm and welcoming when we spent time in my grandparent's village. I sent a note (probably written in very poor Slovak) thanking them. I asked several people for recommendations before I shipped off. But I ended up sending a variety of items: beautiful tea towels that fit the color scheme of their kitchen, some ceramic salt and pepper shakers that reminded me of their home and yard, a Philadelphia Eagles T-shirt, a picture book of Philadelphia and some photos of their village and home the day we spent in Siroke.

          I think such gifts are personal, and so I thought of what they might like as well as wanting to share something with them of "over here."

          Jenna

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
            Jenna:

            You are a doll.  Thanks for your ideas.