Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia

  • geriatricexpert
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2009
      Dear Friends:

      I have been doing geneology research regarding my husband's grandmother ANNA HANECAK --also spelled Hanecsak. She was born in Rusbachy (Vysne Ruzbachy), Czech. (Now Slovakia) in Stara Lubova area on June 28, 1890. She came to America via Bremen, Germany on Dec 12, 1912 (age 22)with Janos Hanecsak (age 32 at the time unsure if this was a brother)--She went to Olyphant, PA where she stayed with John Hanecsak--?brother? Her father was named JANOS HANECAK.

      > She married another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not clear as Smith is not a Slovak name. I understand from Slovak contacts that Smij is a Polish name. It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next town over from Vysne Ruzbachy) on Feb 11, 1883. He entered New York in Feb. 1906 . Any ideas on this are welcome. He may have come over with a brother Michal. We did find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website arrivin in April 1906, but we are not sure it is him.

      I would appreciate any leads that anyone has to help further our research to connect to past ancestors or descendants/relations living in Slovakia now.

      Sincerely,
      Allison
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2009
        The name spelling for Hanescak, is the Hungarian spelling for Hanečak.
        Try these three churches:
        St Michael's, (Polish) - 518-237-5151

        Sts. Peter and Paul, Ukrainian Catholic-518-237-0535, (Greek Catholic)
        St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox, 518-237-5335, I do know that Lemko, (Rusin) people attended there and suspect the church was Rus.
        Vilo

        ________________________________
        I have been doing geneology research regarding my husband's grandmother ANNA HANECAK --also spelled Hanecsak. She was born in Rusbachy (Vysne Ruzbachy), Czech. (Now Slovakia) in Stara Lubova area on June 28, 1890. She came to America via Bremen, Germany on Dec 12, 1912 (age 22)with Janos Hanecsak (age 32 at the time unsure if this was a brother)--She went to Olyphant, PA where she stayed with John Hanecsak--?brother? Her father was named JANOS HANECAK.

        > She married another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not clear as Smith is not a Slovak name. I understand from Slovak contacts that Smij is a Polish name. It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next town over from Vysne Ruzbachy) on Feb 11, 1883. He entered New York in Feb. 1906 . Any ideas on this are welcome. He may have come over with a brother Michal. We did find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website arrivin in April 1906, but we are not sure it is him.

        I would appreciate any leads that anyone has to help further our research to connect to past ancestors or descendants/ relations living in Slovakia now.

        Sincerely,
        Allison

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
          > that Smij is a Polish name.

          Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

          > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written
          > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not
          > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

          A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

          > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next
          > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

          Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

          > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

          This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

          Martin
        • Allison Batchelor
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
            Thank you for your insights, Martin.
            Our next step is getting the Church records from LDS. If we can see who was born that day/baptized that week in Lackova, we will likely discover his real name.

            Allison

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
            From: votrubam@...
            Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
              I researched Smij, in Ellis Island. Iva Smij, arrived in 1909. He came to visit his Brother in Law, Petro Gula, in Willkesboro PA.
              His father name is not clear on the manifest but could be Jurko Smij.
              His Record lists his nationality as Austrian Ruthenian and last place of residence as Galicia.

              This tells ME that he is a Rusin and probably a Lemko, since they inhabited Galica. That brings me back to my original suggestion about Cohoes, NY Greek Catholic and "Russian" Orthodox church records.

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                Iva is IVAN

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                  This proves that smij is a Lemko name.:
                  http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________

                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: votrubam@yahoo. com
                  Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000

                  > that Smij is a Polish name.

                  Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

                  > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written
                  > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not
                  > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

                  A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

                  > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next
                  > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

                  Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

                  > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

                  This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

                  http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                    This is new but I could not send it as "new".
                    Dear Martin,

                    A friend wrote and asked "do you know what "fedor" means? i've known Fedorkos, Fedoreks etc.

                    I responded: Fedor\f(e)-dor\is of Germanorigin. Variant of Theodore(Greek) "giftfrom God". Author Fyodor Dostoevsky.

                    Then he asked:so its something similar to Theodore? what do the "ko" and "ek" add? "of"?

                    I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain the "meaning" or "reason why"

                    Can you Please help?

                    Thanx!

                    Vilko :0) :0) :0)

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2009
                      > what do the "ko" and "ek" add?
                      >
                      > I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain
                      > the "meaning" or "reason why"

                      Here's a link to an earlier discussion, Vilko:

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
                        Vazeny Pan Profesor Martin,

                        Thanks a load, that was very interesting and enlightening.

                        Z Bohom,

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________
                        > I believe these are name endings but I cannot explain
                        > the "meaning" or "reason why"

                        Here's a link to an earlier discussion, Vilko:

                        <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Slovak- World/message/ 14653>

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2009
                          I am asking if you have seen this info:http:
                          //slovensko.com/forum/read.php?3,29931

                          I Quote:

                          Looking for Krutka/Hanecak Family - Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia
                          Posted by: majaslovenka (IP Logged)
                          Date: Wednesday, 31 August 2005 05:06
                          Hi, my name is Maria Krutkova and I'm from Vysne Ruzbachy, Slovakia.
                          I'm 23 years old & currently living in New Jersey , USA – (for the past 8 years).
                          I'm aware that in early 1900's my relatives came to the USA to help the family
                          back home financially. Not all of them returned to Vysne Ruzbachy. I'm looking
                          for anyone with name Krutka/Krutkova/Hanecak/Hanecakova living anywhere in
                          the world. If you have any information about anyone named Krutka or Hanecak
                          – or if you are aware that your relatives may have come from Vysne Ruzbachy,
                          Slovakia/Hungary please send me an E-mail.

                          I would like to organize a family tree - but without some more information
                          – I’ll not get far!!! I believe that I deserve to know information about my
                          family – hopefully one day my dream will come true and I’ll be able to
                          organize our family tree that will include generations much further that
                          my grandparents can remember. "I’m very proud to carry the name Krutka!!!"

                          Also if you're looking for any relatives that came from Vysne Ruzbachy,
                          Nizne Ruzbachy or surrounding villages - don't hesitate and send me
                          an E-mail as well. I do visit Slovakia quite often so I will be able
                          to go the local people and find out helpful information for you
                          (since I do speak Slovak fluently;). If I can assist you in anyway
                          in this matter, I will gladly do so... Drop me quick E-mail and I'll
                          see what I can do. My assistance is free of charge of course!

                          Take Care & be proud of your Slovak heritage.
                          Don’t ever forget where your roots are – in the great land
                          that hosts hard working, caring and loving people.

                          GOD BLESS YOU.

                          The Best Wishes – Maria Krutkova – NJ, USA

                          Vilo

                          .

                        • Allison Batchelor
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                            Vilo-- Thank you. I have seen that note and I found Maria's website and

                            and the email address there did not work. I found another on the web and

                            wrote again but have had no luck. Do you know how else I could contact Maria?

                            Clearly, she is likely a relative!

                            Allison

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                              Hi Allison - did the e mail i sent you for Maria Krutkova work?

                              helene

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
                                Thanks again Helene--but no it did not work. I tried her at gmail also but no luck so far. If anyone

                                knows how to get in touch with Maria Krutkova, please let me know. I am sure she is related to us. THanks.

                                Allison

                                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                                From: helenezx@...
                                Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:47:21 -0700

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 5, 2009
                                  Folks here are so dang helpful.   .. .and smart!

                                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                                  From: votrubam@yahoo. com

                                  Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000