New Slovak-World Members

  • gregory_kopchak
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30 5:29 AM
      We've added 6 new members this morning.

      If your a new member, let everyone know who you
      are.

      Greg
    • bjgolias1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30 3:28 PM
        Hi all,
        I'm not totally new, but have been listening. I just returned from a
        wonderful trip to Prague and my Grandfather's ancestral village of Sarisske
        Dravce and Great Grandfather's village of Krasna Luka in Saros. Some of our
        flight was on Czech Air and it was good service. I also was amazed at how
        many languages the stewardesses and the pilot spoke. The flights were
        always on time so I didn't run into the bad experiences some of you all had. We
        flew from Akron/Canton to Detroit to Amsterdam to Prague. Talk about
        sardines in a can in the air. We spent most of our time in Prague, but next
        trip we'll spend more time in Slovakia. Hope to see some of you at the CGSI
        event in Cleveland.

        Barb Golias

      • Ruth Woods
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30 5:22 PM
          Barb Golias,

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30 5:22 PM
            Barb Golias,

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30 5:28 PM
              Barb,
                 I'm sorry about the previous empty emails that went out - my computer is acting funny.  I read that you just returned from Krasna Luka.  I just found that this is the village of my grandmother's family. It has taken me a while to find this information and I really want to go there some day.  Their last names were Matia (Mathia) and Berdiss.  They settled in Chesterfield PA when they arrived.  What can you tell me about your experiences there?  Have you been in contact with family members and did you do research yourself?  This is the first time I have heard of anyone else researching this village. Thank you for any information you can give me.

              Ruth

              I'm not totally new, but have been listening. I just returned from a
              wonderful trip to Prague and my Grandfather' s ancestral village of Sarisske
              Dravce and Great Grandfather' s village of Krasna Luka in Saros. Some of our
              flight was on Czech Air and it was good service. I also was amazed at how
              many languages the stewardesses and the pilot spoke. The flights were
              always on time so I didn't run into the bad experiences some of you all had. We
              flew from Akron/Canton to Detroit to Amsterdam to Prague. Talk about
              sardines in a can in the air. We spent most of our time in Prague, but next
              trip we'll spend more time in Slovakia. Hope to see some of you at the CGSI
              event in Cleveland.

              Barb Golias

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 30 5:46 PM
                Barb,
                This is all I received:

                Barb Golias,

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 30 5:48 PM
                  Sorry Barb, I just noticed the sender is Ruth.

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 30 6:04 PM
                    I really like the name, "Krasna Luka", meaning, "GorgeousMeadow".

                    Vilko

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                      The towns I am researching are really close together in Saros - Krasna
                      Luka, Sarisske Dravce, and now I need to research Poloma. My Podsedly and
                      Golias families inter-married through out the years and I know there are cousin
                      marriages between 2nd cousins, 3rds, etc. The tale is that there was an
                      elder in the family/s that determined if the cousins were too close to marry
                      - they did this to keep the farms in the family. Surnames I am
                      researching are Golias, Podsedly(Americanized to Poshedly/Pochedly/Posedly), Novy
                      Sedlak, Marusa, Hovancik, Slaminka, Hurtuk, Gensur, Misencik. I've only been
                      researching for 10 years.

                      Barb

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
                        We added 10 new members today.

                        If you are new, let us know who you are.

                        Greg
                      • Katie Gertz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
                          Hello, I'm new to the group. My name is Kate. My father's parents immigrated
                          in 1902 from different villages in what was then Hungary but now is
                          Slovakia. They settled in Braddock, PA. I don't know much about their life
                          in their homeland so I joined this group and others looking for help to find
                          my roots, as they say!

                          Looking forward to learning more about the life my grandparents and their
                          descendants lived before coming to America.

                          Kate

                        • Marycay Doolittle
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
                            Welcome Katie. This is an interesting group and a lot of different info is shared, genealogy, traditions or recipes. Plus there are extras from those who blog or own a business. They share information and wonderful photos so at least I get to see places that I'll probably never get to see in person or I can watch a video explaining how to make some traditional Slovak dish.

                            Marycay

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                              Welcome, Katie.  If you have specific questions, some members can help.  Others w/ point you in the right direction.  And still others w/ offer their experience.

                              Chuck

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 23, 2011
                                We added a couple new members last week.

                                One was a Slovak interested in putting her grandmother's
                                Slovak recipes on line.

                                Seems to fit our current hot topic...

                                Another was a Lutheran priest looking for help on writing
                                a history of Lutheran Slovaks.

                                Neither has made their first posting.

                                Greg