Re: [Slovak-World] CGSI Event in Cleveland OH

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2009
      Dear SW Friends -  The CGSI Conference (Cultural and Genealogical) will take place in Cleveland OH Oct 15 - 17 with some outstanding programs and special events. It's not too late to sign up to attend for the whole conference or for one day. It's even possible to come one evening for the musical program and then the traditional parade of folk dress, Fri Oct 16. There is a $10 fee if you aren't attending the conference; everyone is welcome!

      Michelle Mader and I have set up two times when members of SW and SR can meet and mingle - in the hotel bar (the Holiday Inn S in Independence OH) from 5 - 6  pm on both Thurs Oct 15 and Fri Oct 16.

      Check out the entire program at cgsi.org. Many speakers, an extensive number of vendors and special exhibits are being offered with a special emphasis on Rusyns on Saturday.

      Slovak folk dress from our Baine/Cincebeaux Collection will be on display at the FCSU office near the conference hotel. Everyone is invited.

      e mail me directly if you have questions helenezx@....

      For our gatherings in the bar everyone is welcome, bring family, friends, etc. no sign up required, just come!  I also welcome anyone who would like to take part in the parade of folk dress fri nite. Let me know!

      helene

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
        Helene:

        You may supersede Martin & Helen F as my SW heroes.

        Kudos to you & Michelle for such great work.  Hope to make it next year.

        Chuck

        e mail me directly if you have questions helenezx@aol. com.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
          Dear Chuck - wish you could join us - the next conference will be in Oct. 2011 in St Louis MO

          Another fun event is the Slovak Festival in Pittsburgh PA Sunday, Nov 1 - that is held every year and it is a feast of exhibits, entertainment, talks, good food, nice people,  etc.

          And we are having a super Slovak Party the night before - everyone is invited.
          e mail me direct if you would like more info. helenezx@...

          cheers

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
            CHRISTIANS MUST SHARE TREASURY OF TRUTH WITH THE WORLD

            VATICAN CITY, 27 SEP 2009 (VIS) - This afternoon at the archbishop's palace in Prague the Holy Father met with members of the Ecumenical Council of Churches of the Czech Republic. The Holy Father arrived at 5.15 p.m. to be greeted by Cardinal Miloslav Vlk, archbishop of Prague. Having then been welcomed by the president of the ecumenical council, Benedict XVI pronounced his address.

            "It is hard to believe that only two decades have passed since the collapse of former regimes gave way to a difficult but productive transition towards more participatory political structures", said the Pope. "During this period, Christians joined together with others of good will in helping to rebuild a just political order, and they continue to engage in dialogue today in order to pave new ways towards mutual understanding, co-operation for peace and the advancement of the common good.

            "Nevertheless", he added, "attempts to marginalize the influence of Christianity upon public life - sometimes under the pretext that its teachings are detrimental to the wellbeing of society - are emerging in new forms. ... The artificial separation of the Gospel from intellectual and public life should prompt us to engage in a mutual 'self-critique of modernity' and 'self-critique of modern Christianity', specifically with regard to the hope each of them can offer mankind ... in a period marked by proliferating world views".

            He went on: "Christianity has much to offer on the practical and ethical level". Yet "God offers a deeper reality which is nonetheless inseparable from the 'economy' of charity at work in this world: He offers salvation".

            The term salvation "is replete with connotations", the Pope explained, "yet it expresses something fundamental and universal about the human yearning for wellbeing and wholeness. ... It is the central truth of the Gospel and the goal to which every effort of evangelisation and pastoral care is directed. And it is the criterion to which Christians constantly redirect their focus as they endeavour to heal the wounds of past divisions".

            "The Church's proclamation of salvation in Christ Jesus is ever ancient and ever new. ... As Europe listens to the story of Christianity, she hears her own. Her notions of justice, freedom and social responsibility, together with the cultural and legal institutions established to preserve these ideas and hand them on to future generations, are shaped by her Christian inheritance. Indeed, her memory of the past animates her aspirations for the future".

            Pope Benedict went on to mention Sts. Adalbert and Agnes who spread the Gospel in "the conviction that Christians should not cower in fear of the world but rather confidently share the treasury of truths entrusted to them. Likewise Christians today, opening themselves to present realities and affirming all that is good in society, must have the courage to invite men and women to the radical conversion that ensues upon an encounter with Christ and ushers in a new life of grace.

            "From this perspective", he added, "we understand more clearly why Christians are obliged to join others in reminding Europe of her roots. It is not because these roots have long since withered. On the contrary! It is because they continue - in subtle but nonetheless fruitful ways - to supply the continent with the spiritual and moral sustenance that allows her to enter into meaningful dialogue with people from other cultures and religions. Precisely because the Gospel is not an ideology, it does not presume to lock evolving socio-political realities into rigid schemas. Rather, it transcends the vicissitudes of this world and casts new light on the dignity of the human person in every age".

            "Let us ask the Lord", the Pope concluded, "to implant within us a spirit of courage to share the timeless saving truths which have shaped, and will continue to shape, the social and cultural progress of this continent".

            At the end of the meeting, the Holy Father travelled to Prague Castle to meet with members of the academic community.

            PV-CZECH REP./ECUMENISM/PRAGUE VIS 090928 (680)

            YEARNING FOR FREEDOM AND TRUTH CAN NEVER BE ELIMINATED

            VATICAN CITY, 27 SEP 2009 (VIS) - In Prague Castle at 6 p.m. today, the Pope met with rectors of Czech universities, staff and student representatives, and members of State and Church cultural institutions.

            "While some argue that the questions raised by religion, faith and ethics have no place within the purview of collective reason", said the Pope in his address, "that view is by no means axiomatic. The freedom that underlies the exercise of reason - be it in a university or in the Church - has a purpose: it is directed to the pursuit of truth, and as such gives expression to a tenet of Christianity which in fact gave rise to the university".

            "The great formative tradition, open to the transcendent, which stands at the base of universities across Europe, was in this land, and others, systematically subverted by the reductive ideology of materialism, the repression of religion and the suppression of the human spirit. In 1989, however, the world witnessed in dramatic ways the overthrow of a failed totalitarian ideology and the triumph of the human spirit", said Benedict XVI.

            He highlighted how "the yearning for freedom and truth is inalienably part of our common humanity. It can never be eliminated; and, as history has shown, it is denied at humanity's own peril. It is to this yearning that religious faith, the various arts, philosophy, theology and other scientific disciplines, each with its own method, seek to respond, both on the level of disciplined reflection and on the level of a sound praxis".

            Universities are responsible "for enlightening the minds and hearts of the young men and women of today" said the Pope, indicating that this task is "not merely the accumulation of knowledge or skills, but 'paideia', human formation in the treasures of an intellectual tradition directed to a virtuous life".

            "The idea of an integrated education, based on the unity of knowledge grounded in truth, must be regained", he insisted. "With the massive growth in information and technology there comes the temptation to detach reason from the pursuit of truth. ... The relativism that ensues provides a dense camouflage behind which new threats to the autonomy of academic institutions can lurk.

            "While the period of interference from political totalitarianism has passed", he added, "is it not the case that frequently, across the globe, the exercise of reason and academic research are - subtly and not so subtly - constrained to bow to the pressures of ideological interest groups and the lure of short-term utilitarian or pragmatic goals?"

            "The skills of analysis and those required to generate a hypothesis, combined with the prudent art of discernment, offer an effective antidote to the attitudes of self-absorption, disengagement and even alienation which are sometimes found in our prosperous societies, and which can particularly affect the young".

            "Not only do the proponents of this positivistic exclusion of the divine from the universality of reason negate what is one of the most profound convictions of religious believers, they also thwart the very dialogue of cultures which they themselves propose. An understanding of reason that is deaf to the divine and which relegates religions into the realm of subcultures, is incapable of entering into the dialogue of cultures that our world so urgently needs".

            "This confidence in the human ability to seek truth, to find truth and to live by the truth led to the foundation of the great European universities. Surely we must reaffirm this today in order to bring courage to the intellectual forces necessary for the development of a future of authentic human flourishing, a future truly worthy of man", the Holy Father concluded.

            At the end of his meeting with scholars, the Pope travelled to the apostolic nunciature where he spent the night.

            PV-CZECH REP./ACADEMIC WORLD/PRAGUE VIS 090928 (640)

          • Mike and Debbie Lukachick

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                Helene;

                Will your Slovak Folk Dress exhibit be available for viewing at the FCSU on 14 Oct., the day before the conference and the day,I believe, of the CGSI Cleveland bus tours?

                Florian

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                > Dear Chuck - wish you could join us - the next conference will be in Oct. 2011 in St Louis MO
                >
                > Another fun event is the Slovak Festival in Pittsburgh PA Sunday, Nov 1 - that is held every year and it is a feast of exhibits, entertainment, talks, good food, nice people,  etc.
                >
                > And we are having a super Slovak Party the night before - everyone is invited.
                > e mail me direct if you would like more info. helenezx@...
                >
                > cheers
                > helene

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                  Hi Mike and Debbie - i am not sure if they have signed the contract that far in advance -  they do a lot of research before the place is chosen.

                  but you can check the web site - www.cgsi.org

                  it always is a lot of fun - !!!!

                  helene

                  e mail me direct if you would like more info. helenezx@aol. com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Hi Florian - sure will - we are setting up on Tues. as there are several tours coming thru on Wed and Thurs. The hours are 8:30 - 4: pm - each day Wed - thru Fri and Sat the 17 from 10 am - 2 pm.

                    glad to answer more questions about it - it will be held at the FCSU headquarters about 10 min from the conference hotel in Independence OH

                    Expect to have some 22 figures dressed from our Baine/Cincebeaux Collection and would welcome anyone interested - it is open to the public and free admission. The exhibit is titled "Stitched with Love" and will include a variety of folk dress from all regions of Slovakia.

                    Also some gorgeous folk dress will be on display at the Fri night parade of kroj at 8:15 pm. Expect 40 - 50 people will participate.

                    Even if not attending the conference people can see ithe parade of kroj and the singing group just before it with a $10 admission fee.

                    helene

                    Will your Slovak Folk Dress exhibit be available for viewing at the FCSU on 14 Oct., the day before the conference and the day,I believe, of the CGSI Cleveland bus tours?

                    Florian

                    --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@.. .> wrote:

                    > Dear Chuck - wish you could join us - the next conference will be in Oct. 2011 in St Louis MO
                    >
                    > Another fun event is the Slovak Festival in Pittsburgh PA Sunday, Nov 1 - that is held every year and it is a feast of exhibits, entertainment, talks, good food, nice people,  etc.
                    >
                    > And we are having a super Slovak Party the night before - everyone is invited.
                    > e mail me direct if you would like more info. helenezx@...
                    >
                    > cheers
                    > helene

                  • gregory_kopchak
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2009
                      The spider crawling up Pope Benedict XVI's vestments
                      during his Prague homily turned his visit into a worldwide
                      media event.

                      Greg

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Edie Sando" <sando1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >

                      > "This confidence in the human ability to seek truth, to find truth and to live by the truth led to the foundation of the great European universities. Surely we must reaffirm this today in order to bring courage to the intellectual forces necessary for the development of a future of authentic human flourishing, a future truly worthy of man", the Holy Father concluded.
                      >

                      > At the end of his meeting with scholars, the Pope travelled to the apostolic nunciature where he spent the night.
                      >
                      > PV-CZECH REP./ACADEMIC WORLD/PRAGUE VIS 090928 (640)

                    • Ben Sorensen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2009
                        Isn't that just nuts??? The words mean nothing to the media, but a pesky spider gets the limelight.  Veritas vinci......Wii anyone?Or xBox......
                        grrr.
                        Ben

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 30, 2009
                          Thanks, Helene. Will visit your exhibit at the FCSU on 14 Oct. I will also pass on this information to several local friends.

                          Regards,

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 30, 2009
                            super florian - will be great to see you and love having people come

                            helene

                            Thanks, Helene. Will visit your exhibit at the FCSU on 14 Oct. I will also pass on this information to several local friends.

                            Regards,

                            Florian

                            --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@.. .> wrote:

                            > Hi Florian - sure will - we are setting up on Tues. as there are several tours coming thru on Wed and Thurs. The hours are 8:30 - 4: pm - each day Wed - thru Fri and Sat the 17 from 10 am - 2 pm.
                            >
                            > glad to answer more questions about it - it will be held at the FCSU headquarters about 10 min from the conference hotel in Independence OH
                            >
                            > Expect to have some 22 figures dressed from our Baine/Cincebeaux Collection and would welcome anyone interested - it is open to the public and free admission. The exhibit is titled "Stitched with Love" and will include a variety of folk dress from all regions of Slovakia.
                            >
                            > Also some gorgeous folk dress will be on display at the Fri night parade of kroj at 8:15 pm. Expect 40 - 50 people will participate.
                            >
                            > Even if not attending the conference people can see ithe parade of kroj and the singing group just before it with a $10 admission fee.
                            >
                            > helene

                          • Ron
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                              I just booked the flights from Anchorage to Cleveland, so now have to book the CGSI conference, and I am staying over to attend the Nov 1 gathering at Pburgh. Geez, it is a lot more comfortable walking through woods full of bears than it is driving in Pburgh!

                              I do look forward to meeting many of you! I think I have been hanging around this group since 1996 and have learned so much in those years!

                              For a fair part of the activities at both locations one of my sisters will be joining us. Now to get on with the planning!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                                Probably one of the most intelligent people in the world and the press focuses on a spider.

                                It is a symptom of why the press is not respected by 67% of those who it purports to aid.  LOL

                                http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/06/press-trust-poll/

                                They don't just misrepresent facts on the Pope either.  They focus on the irrelevant, misrepresent facts, distort the truth, and edit responses of those they interview to portray the view THEY want to disseminate.  So much for 'what, when, where, who, how.'  And letting us figure out how we feel or think about something.

                                It would be funny if it were not so sad.