Maria Gulovich Liu

  • Jim Downs
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
      Dear All, Especially Carpatho-Rusyns,

      Maria Gulovich, 87, is in her last days after a two-year struggle with
      cancer. The Family has asked me to write an obituary for her when she
      passes. Perhaps some of you can give me some email addresses of newspapers
      in Jakubany, Stara L-Ubovna, Presov, Vienna, Bratislava, Banska Bystrica,
      Hrinova (near Zvolen), and Prague. Many of you know her story. Those who do
      not, some of the information below may be helpful.

      She was born in Jakubany of Carpatho-Rusyn parents. Her father was a
      Greek-Catholic priest; her mother, an elementary school teacher. She
      attended schools in Stara L-Ubovna and in Presov (in a Catholic Convent).
      She served an apprenticeship in sewing in Grinzing, a Vienna suburb, and
      later attended teachers college in the Greek Catholic Institute for teachers
      in Presov. She later taught school in Jarabina (near Jakubany) and in
      Hrinova, 22 miles east of Zvolen. There, she was conscripted to join the
      rebel Army underground where she first worked as a courier. She was fluent
      in Slovak, Hungarian, German, and Russian. Because of her language skills,
      she was assigned to work for the Soviet GRU (military equivalent of the
      NKVD, later known as the KGB) in Banska Bystrica as a translator. There, in
      the Slovak Army message center, she met members of an American OSS team.
      Later in the Prasiva Range, fleeing the German army, she accepted an
      invitation to join the American OSS team. She luckily escaped capture and
      led two Americans and two British SOE agents through the lines of the
      retreating German army in early 1945 to the Soviet front. An American OSS
      team in Bucharest smuggled her to Italy. The Soviets were looking for her.
      She subsequently met Allen Dulles in Prague and arrangements were made to
      send her to the United States. In 1946, General William Donovan, wartime
      head of the OSS, personally decorated her on the Plain of West Point. She
      was the first woman ever decorated at West Point.

      Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Please email me
      directly.

      Jim Downs
      1303 Crestridge Drive
      Oceanside, CA 92054
      760-439-3573
      downs24@...
    • jennie coulter
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
        Jim,
        Here is a link that offers on line newspapers in Slovakia.
        I'm sure that they will be some help.
        Jennie Scerbak

        http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/slovakia.htm

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
          What a story!

          From: Jim Downs <downs24@cox. net>

          To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

          Cc: "Peter Kassak" <pkassak@yahoo. com>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
            Dear Jim:

            I just saw your message about Marie Gulovich Liu this morning.
            I hope you do not mind, but I posted a copy of it on the Jakubany yahoo group.

            Here is the link:

            Thanks for re-telling her story. It good to be reminded about amazing women like Maria.
            It is so sad to think about losing someone so special.

            Please continue to keep us updated about her!

            Regards,
            Cousin Janie
            =======================================

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Downs" <downs24@...> wrote:

            > Dear All, Especially Carpatho-Rusyns,
            >
            > Maria Gulovich, 87, is in her last days after a two-year struggle with
            > cancer. The Family has asked me to write an obituary for her when she
            > passes. Perhaps some of you can give me some email addresses of newspapers
            > in Jakubany, Stara L-Ubovna, Presov, Vienna, Bratislava, Banska Bystrica,
            > Hrinova (near Zvolen), and Prague. Many of you know her story. Those who do
            > not, some of the information below may be helpful.
            >
            > She was born in Jakubany of Carpatho-Rusyn parents. Her father was a
            > Greek-Catholic priest; her mother, an elementary school teacher. She
            > attended schools in Stara L-Ubovna and in Presov (in a Catholic Convent).
            > She served an apprenticeship in sewing in Grinzing, a Vienna suburb, and
            > later attended teachers college in the Greek Catholic Institute for teachers
            > in Presov. She later taught school in Jarabina (near Jakubany) and in
            > Hrinova, 22 miles east of Zvolen. There, she was conscripted to join the
            > rebel Army underground where she first worked as a courier. She was fluent
            > in Slovak, Hungarian, German, and Russian. Because of her language skills,
            > she was assigned to work for the Soviet GRU (military equivalent of the
            > NKVD, later known as the KGB) in Banska Bystrica as a translator. There, in
            > the Slovak Army message center, she met members of an American OSS team.
            > Later in the Prasiva Range, fleeing the German army, she accepted an
            > invitation to join the American OSS team. She luckily escaped capture and
            > led two Americans and two British SOE agents through the lines of the
            > retreating German army in early 1945 to the Soviet front. An American OSS
            > team in Bucharest smuggled her to Italy. The Soviets were looking for her.
            > She subsequently met Allen Dulles in Prague and arrangements were made to
            > send her to the United States. In 1946, General William Donovan, wartime
            > head of the OSS, personally decorated her on the Plain of West Point. She
            > was the first woman ever decorated at West Point.
            >
            > Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Please email me
            > directly.
            >
            > Jim Downs
            > 1303 Crestridge Drive
            > Oceanside, CA 92054
            > 760-439-3573
            > downs24@...

          • Jim Downs
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
              Thank you. I am getting great help from Martin V. and also got a great reply this morning from the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava.

            • vchromoho
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Downs" <downs24@...> wrote:

                > Dear All, Especially Carpatho-Rusyns,
                >
                > Maria Gulovich, 87, is in her last days after a two-year struggle with
                > cancer. The Family has asked me to write an obituary for her when she
                > passes.

                > She was born in Jakubany of Carpatho-Rusyn parents. Her father was a
                Greek-Catholic priest; her mother, an elementary school teacher. She
                attended schools in Stara L-Ubovna and in Presov (in a Catholic Convent).

                > She was fluent in Slovak, Hungarian, German, and Russian.

                If indeed she was born of Carpatho-Rusyn parents, wouldn't she also be fluent in Rusyn?

                Of course, it may well have been that her father, being of the priestly class, would have only allowed Hungarian to be spoken in his home. If that's the case, I suppose Maria would also have learned Slovak only in school, alongside the other languages you mention.

                > She served an apprenticeship in sewing in Grinzing, a Vienna suburb, and later attended teachers college in the Greek Catholic Institute for teachers in Presov. She later taught school in Jarabina (near Jakubany)

                Still, I find it hard to imagine that she did not somehow also have Rusyn as one of her first languages. How else could she have taught school in Jarabina?

                May God sustain her in her time of illness, and receive her into the bosom of Abraham when He calls her to her eternal reward!

                RDC
              • votrubam
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009
                  > Marie Gulovich Liu
                  [...]
                  > I posted a copy of it on the J-k-b-ny yahoo group.

                  The misinformation should be corrected in that group and, possibly, removed. It will otherwise be soon copied on other sites.

                  Maria Gulovich was not born there. She was born in _Jarabina_.

                  Martin
                • Jim Downs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Maria passed away on Friday, September 25. Martin Vortruba kindly translated
                    an obituary into Slovak which I will send out tomorrow to Slovakia to
                    addresses given me by the U.S. Embassy. On Thursday, the Los Angeles Times
                    will run a prominent obituary in the front section of the paper. The writer
                    spent consider time with me on the phone to get the story. Running with the
                    story will be a photo of Maria with Allen Dulles taken in August, 1945 in
                    Prague. She is in a US Army uniform as they put her on active duty status so
                    she could get a $50 a month salary. She was sent to Prague to work as an
                    interpreter. In the photo with Dulles and Maria are Hans Gisevius and Mary
                    Bancroft. Allen Dulles later became head of the CIS. Gisevius was a German
                    who was recruited by the OSS. He played a major role in Operation Valkyrie
                    (the attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler) in Berlin during the war. Bancroft
                    was a brilliant, wealthy American women who had lived in Europe since before
                    the war. She was a talented linguist who translated Gisevius' book on
                    Valkyrie into English. She also was Dulles' mistress. You can buy Gisevius'
                    book on line. For those of you who are interested, you will be able to pull
                    up Maria's story and the photo on Line on Thursday.
                  • gregory_kopchak
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Jim:

                      Pass our sympathies along to Maria's Family.

                      You may also want to pass along information on the book
                      to everyone.

                      Greg Kopchak