Re: [Slovak-World] Music surprise

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
      Ben & Martin:

      I heard the song repeatedly on the radio on my travels there .  It is a haunting melody.  It is getting a ton of airplay.

      I didn't see the video until I returned stateside.  Thank you for the interpretation.

      I hope I didn't offend anyone on this site that already doesn't like me.  If I understood more Slovak or Czech, this wouldn't happen.  But the music has a hook that made me want to find out who did it.  And she does have a great voice.

      She winks or smiles @ the end of the video, that to me, means that she doesn't take herself (or this 'trick') too seriously. I suppose, like the Beatles' Abbey Road album, to increase sales.

      Dropped off the 'stinky cheese' to my girlfriend yesterday.  I am back out of the doghouse w/ her.

      Chuck

      From: Armata, Joseph R <armata@pitt. edu>

      To: "'Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com'" <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

      Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 2:12 PM

      Here are some figures on the ethnic population of Croatian Baranja (the Croatian spelling). The northern part of Baranya (Hungarian spelling) is still in Hungary.

      Croatian Baranja had a quarter to a third Hungarian population until recently, so that might account for some of the Hungarian musical influence.

      It gives only 0.17% as the Slovak population in Croatian Baranja in the 1940s. Slovaks might have been folded in with Hungarians in statistics before then, but it's unlikely they were a large number then either.

      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Demographic_ history_of_ Croatian_ Baranja

      Joe