Recommendations?

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hi all:

      I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list of reads for this coming year.

      For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good? Good recommendation for a book club?

      Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin? Any good?

      Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?

      Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of Leningrad."

      Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.

      Jenna

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
        > fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a
        > recently translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?

        If it's Eastern Europe, Slovakia wouldn't qualify, but if translations from Slovak, although from Central Europe, are an option, here's a list:

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/slovakliteratureinenglish.html>

        The one by Vilikovsky has been highly reviewed in Slovakia, Britain, and France. The reviewers were fairly knowledgeable about Central European history and enjoyed sophisticated writing.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
          Jenna,
          I haven't read _Dark Dreams_ (I'm not into mysteries/detective stories) or the previous book _Siren of the Waters_, but our local Slovak society had Michael Genelin, the author, give a book talk. He's a very personable fellow, well-spoken, and has two books (and more planned) in the series (main character Jana Matinova, a police inspector in B-slava). A Slovak-American friend of mine just finished _Siren_ and said he enjoyed it, especially the Slovak connection.

          Michael, who's a lawyer by training, lived in B-slava for a few years while working as a consultant with the post-communist Slovak Ministry of Justice to bring their laws into line with western standards. He's originally from L.A. and has done some screenwriting too.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
            Hi Martin,

            why the variance in Eastern/ Central European?  I've seen many references to Slovakia as being an Eastern European country. From whose perspective or political mapping is Slovakia considered "eastern"...and whose "central"? Is there a map you'd recommend for seeing eastern/western boundaries from a central position?

            Thanks! And thanks also for the recommendations on books.
            Jenna

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
              Thanks much, Helen. Were you at the event? From discussion, did any in the audience read the book? Respond positively?

              Thanks,

            • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                Hi all...
                Martin, may I take a shot at this one?
                Jenna, many consider all countries once under the "communist sphere of influence" as "eastern." The truth is that Prague, an "eastern" city, is geographically further west than Vienna- a "western" city. Slovakia, on all maps, is the geographical center of Europe- hence the nickname: The Heart of Europe.
                I hope that I have not overstepped my boundaries.
                Ben

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Yes, I was there. Unfortunately, because we had to make a last-minute, beyond-our-control change in the date, we had a VERY small audience. No one had read the book before, but some of the attendees bought a copy that evening, one of whom was my friend who enjoyed it.

                • votrubam
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                    > I've seen many references to Slovakia as being an Eastern
                    > European country.

                    American references.

                    > From whose perspective or political mapping

                    That's at the core of the issue -- symbolic geography instead of real geography. While communism was alive, _East_ came to be a symbolic reference to communism, _West_ to democracy. However, school children in Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Austria always learned in their geography lessons that their country was in Central Europe -- before communism, during communism, and after communism.

                    With such cliched symbolic (instead of real) geography, the Central Europeans came to be greatly annoyed by the "Westerners" who, while in Berlin, Bratislava, or Budapest would say "Here in Eastern Europe," while Vienna, east of both Berlin and Prague, was "in the West." There's some more on that here:

                    <http://www.kinokultura.com/specials/3/votruba.shtml#slovakia>

                    The Communist regimes in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Communist Germany also always spoke of their countries as being in Central Europe, never "Eastern." Unlike the free, democratic (and ignorant, the Central Europeans used to say) "West."

                    Martin
                  • KMC
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                      I would like to recommend the Michael Genelin "Commander Jana Matinova" series (Siren of the Waters and (the second) Dark Dreams). They are fun reads, not critically acclaimed, but good stories- I did both of them over one weekend. I can also recommend "Out of this Furnace" - it was a good story but I can't attest to it's accuracy as I'm 3 generations removed from Slovakia.

                      Completely aside.... One that my book club really liked is The Alchemist, but Spanish author Paulo Coelho, it's really a lovely, uplifting story.

                      kate

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all:
                      >
                      > I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list of reads for this coming year.
                      >
                      > For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good? Good recommendation for a book club?
                      >
                      > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin? Any good?
                      >
                      > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?
                      >
                      > Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of Leningrad."
                      >
                      > Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > Jenna

                    • Julie Michutka
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                        I wrote a review of _Siren of the Waters_ for Helen's quarterly
                        publication last year. I enjoyed the book, I thought the author did a
                        good job of writing a mystery. If you're hoping to find descriptions
                        of places in Slovakia in the book, tho', you will probably be
                        disappointed. As I mentioned in my article, Genelin seemed more
                        interested in the interior landscape, if you will, of someone who grew
                        up always having to look over her shoulder. Whether he is accurate in
                        that depiction of the effects of communist culture, I cannot say.
                        Whether he wrote it well (accurate or not), I'd say yes. I also
                        thought his exploration of honesty and corruption very interesting.

                        Caveat: I am terrible at literary analysis, and I am easily pleased.
                        So someone else might have a very different take on the book (and if
                        so, I'd be happy to hear it; I like book discussions too!)

                        I haven't yet read _Dark Dreams_.

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...

                        On Sep 17, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Helen Fedor wrote:

                        > Jenna,
                        > I haven't read _Dark Dreams_ (I'm not into mysteries/detective
                        > stories) or the previous book _Siren of the Waters_, but our local
                        > Slovak society had Michael Genelin, the author, give a book talk.
                        > He's a very personable fellow, well-spoken, and has two books (and
                        > more planned) in the series (main character Jana Matinova, a police
                        > inspector in B-slava). A Slovak-American friend of mine just
                        > finished _Siren_ and said he enjoyed it, especially the Slovak
                        > connection.
                        >
                        > Michael, who's a lawyer by training, lived in B-slava for a few
                        > years while working as a consultant with the post-communist Slovak
                        > Ministry of Justice to bring their laws into line with western
                        > standards. He's originally from L.A. and has done some
                        > screenwriting too.

                        > Hi all:
                        >
                        > I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list
                        > of reads for this coming year.
                        >
                        > For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good?
                        > Good recommendation for a book club?
                        >
                        > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a
                        > novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin?
                        > Any good?
                        >
                        > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern
                        > Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in
                        > paperback?
                        >
                        > Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have
                        > included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of
                        > Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading
                        > Lolita in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of
                        > Leningrad."
                        >
                        > Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend
                        > would be greatly appreciated.
                        >
                        > Jenna

                      • Lou
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                          For Slovak history, current and recent literature, poetry, ethnography, art, etc. - all in English, some
                          both in original Slovak and in English translation - see: <www.slovakculture.org> or <www.bolchazy.com>. Servus. Laci Bolchazy.
                          Yes, I was there. Unfortunately, because we had to make a last-minute, beyond-our-control change in the date, we had a VERY small audience. No one had read the book before, but some of the attendees bought a copy that evening, one of whom was my friend who enjoyed it.

                          >>> jenna-m <broni03@...> 9/17/2009 11:47 AM >>>
                          Thanks much, Helen. Were you at the event? From discussion, did any in the audience read the book? Respond positively?

                          Thanks,
                          Jenna

                          > I haven't read _Dark Dreams_ (I'm not into mysteries/detective
                          > stories) or the previous book _Siren of the Waters_, but our local
                          > Slovak society had Michael Genelin, the author, give a book talk.
                          > He's a very personable fellow, well-spoken, and has two books (and
                          > more
                          > planned) in the series (main character Jana Matinova, a police
                          > inspector in B-slava). A Slovak-American friend of mine just finished
                          > _Siren_ and said he enjoyed it, especially the Slovak connection.
                          >

                          > Michael, who's a lawyer by training, lived in B-slava for a few years
                          > while working as a consultant with the post-communist Slovak Ministry
                          > of Justice to bring their laws into line with western standards. He's
                          > originally from L.A. and has done some screenwriting too.

                          > com> 9/17/2009 1:27 AM >>>
                          >
                          > Hi all:
                          >

                          > I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list of
                          > reads for this coming year.
                          >

                          > For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good? Good
                          > recommendation for a book club?
                          >

                          > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a
                          > novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin? Any
                          > good?
                          >

                          > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern
                          > Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in
                          > paperback?
                          >

                          > Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have
                          > included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of
                          > Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita
                          > in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of Leningrad."
                          >

                          > Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend would
                          > be greatly appreciated.
                          >

                          > Jenna

                        • ssultonia
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                            I can't speak to the others but regarding "Out of This Furnace" - my grandparents lived in Braddock, Pa. and the Priest mentioned in the book is the same name that is on my GOP's marriage certificate from 1913. I had the certificate first then read the book. I was pleasantly surprised to see the name mentioned in the book.
                            Bill

                            Bill--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "KMC" <kmc1026@...> wrote:

                            > I would like to recommend the Michael Genelin "Commander Jana Matinova" series (Siren of the Waters and (the second) Dark Dreams). They are fun reads, not critically acclaimed, but good stories- I did both of them over one weekend. I can also recommend "Out of this Furnace" - it was a good story but I can't attest to it's accuracy as I'm 3 generations removed from Slovakia.
                            >
                            > Completely aside.... One that my book club really liked is The Alchemist, but Spanish author Paulo Coelho, it's really a lovely, uplifting story.
                            >
                            > kate
                            >

                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi all:
                            > >
                            > > I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list of reads for this coming year.
                            > >
                            > > For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good? Good recommendation for a book club?
                            > >
                            > > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin? Any good?
                            > >
                            > > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?
                            > >
                            > > Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of Leningrad."
                            > >
                            > > Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.
                            > >
                            > > Jenna

                          • ssultonia
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
                              I can't speak to the others but regarding "Out of This Furnace" - my grandparents lived in Braddock, Pa. and the Priest mentioned in the book is the same name that is on my GOP's marriage certificate from 1913. I had the certificate first then read the book. I was pleasantly surprised to see the name mentioned in the book.
                              Bill

                              Bill--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "KMC" <kmc1026@...> wrote:

                              > I would like to recommend the Michael Genelin "Commander Jana Matinova" series (Siren of the Waters and (the second) Dark Dreams). They are fun reads, not critically acclaimed, but good stories- I did both of them over one weekend. I can also recommend "Out of this Furnace" - it was a good story but I can't attest to it's accuracy as I'm 3 generations removed from Slovakia.
                              >
                              > Completely aside.... One that my book club really liked is The Alchemist, but Spanish author Paulo Coelho, it's really a lovely, uplifting story.
                              >
                              > kate
                              >

                              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi all:
                              > >
                              > > I belong to a book discussion group that is putting together a list of reads for this coming year.
                              > >
                              > > For those of you that have read "Out of this Furnace"...any good? Good recommendation for a book club?
                              > >
                              > > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting about "Dark Dreams" a novel set in Bratislava some time back. Did you read that Martin? Any good?
                              > >
                              > > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a recently translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?
                              > >
                              > > Just to give you a sense of range from the group...recent reads have included: Falconer, The Soloist, Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of Tea, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita in Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three Madonnas of Leningrad."
                              > >
                              > > Any suggestions of something you read and would highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.
                              > >
                              > > Jenna

                            • jenna-m
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions for possible books to read for my book club as well as resources to look into. This is such a great group...so many well-read and knowledgeable people. Thanks for sharing on this, especially on books that you personally read and enjoyed.

                                Jenna

                                > regarding "Out of This Furnace" - my grandparents
                                > lived in Braddock, Pa. and the Priest mentioned in the book
                                > is the same name that is on my GOP's marriage
                                > certificate from 1913. I had the certificate first then read
                                > the book. I was pleasantly surprised to see the name
                                > mentioned in the book.
                                >
                                > Bill
                                >

                                > Bill--- In Slovak-World@
                                > yahoogroups. com, "KMC" <kmc1026@... >
                                > wrote:
                                >

                                > > I would like to recommend the Michael Genelin
                                > "Commander Jana Matinova" series (Siren of the
                                > Waters and (the second) Dark Dreams). They are fun reads,
                                > not critically acclaimed, but good stories- I did both of
                                > them over one weekend. I can also recommend "Out of
                                > this Furnace" - it was a good story but I can't
                                > attest to it's accuracy as I'm 3 generations removed
                                > from Slovakia.
                                >

                                > > Completely aside.... One that my book club really
                                > liked is The Alchemist, but Spanish author Paulo Coelho,
                                > it's really a lovely, uplifting story.
                                >

                                > > kate
                                >

                                > > --- In Slovak-World@
                                > yahoogroups. com, jenna-m <broni03@> wrote:
                                >

                                > > > Hi all:
                                >

                                > > > I belong to a book discussion group that is
                                > putting together a list of reads for this coming year.
                                >

                                > > > For those of you that have read "Out of this
                                > Furnace"...any good? Good recommendation for a book
                                > club?
                                >

                                > > > Some time ago, I think Martin made a posting
                                > about "Dark Dreams" a novel set in Bratislava some
                                > time back. Did you read that Martin? Any good?
                                >

                                > > > Anyone have any suggestions, fiction or
                                > non-fiction, set in Eastern Europe... or a recently
                                > translated Slovakian author preferably in paperback?
                                >

                                > > > Just to give you a sense of range from the
                                > group...recent reads have included: Falconer, The Soloist,
                                > Dreams of my Father, Three Cups of Tea, The Guernsey
                                > Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Reading Lolita in
                                > Tehran. Next month we're reading "The Three
                                > Madonnas of Leningrad."
                                >

                                > > > Any suggestions of something you read and would
                                > highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.
                                >

                                > > > Jenna

                                > removed]

                              • jenna-m
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                  Ahhh..."symbolic" geography, "real" geography...there is one guy I teach with who teaches "human geography"...so many geographies...so contrary to promoting ideas such as the world is flat:)

                                  Thanks for sharing the geography children learn in particular countries, Martin. This I think gets more complicated over time as people...not just Americans...essentialize "East" and "West" as though either are monolithic.

                                  Coindidental to this discussion...last night on PBS, there was a program called "The Extraordinary Journey" which presented stories from peoples from 26 "Eastern European" countries who settled in Northeastern Pennsylvania. My ears were especially attuned to the consistent stressing as to immigrants who came between 1880 and 1930 as being "eastern europeaners."

                                  Thanks for the info and the link as there are some even more "eastern" traditions that promote that in admitting ignorance even confusion is a seed of enlightenment:)

                                  Jenna

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                    > "East" and "West" as though either are monolithic

                                    Not necessarily. No one speaks of the US in terms of just the east and west, in real or symbolic geography.

                                    > as there are some even more "eastern" traditions that promote
                                    > that in admitting ignorance even confusion is a seed of
                                    > enlightenment:)

                                    Not too common in Central Europe. By comparison, I'd say that in the the Anglo-Saxon culture, people are more ready to learn about the world rather than just about its wealthy and influential regions.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                      Julie:

                                      I trust your interpretation more than I trust most literary 'critics.'  After all, we can ALL read books.  But it takes a lot to write one.  It is a combination of luck, persistence & talent to get it published.

                                      So thanks for your input.  It is what makes this site so special.  I may pass the book as in item on my Christmas gift list to friends & relatives.

                                      Chuck

                                      jmm@pathbridge. net

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                        Martin:

                                        In Charlotte NC (Ben, tell Martin about Wilmington), folks here are STILL very aware of the North South delineations culturally.

                                        Chuck

                                        > "East" and "West" as though either are monolithic

                                        Not necessarily. No one speaks of the US in terms of just the east and west, in real or symbolic geography.

                                        > as there are some even more "eastern" traditions that promote

                                        > that in admitting ignorance even confusion is a seed of

                                        > enlightenment: )

                                        Not too common in Central Europe. By comparison, I'd say that in the the Anglo-Saxon culture, people are more ready to learn about the world rather than just about its wealthy and influential regions.

                                      • William F Brna
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                          Chuck,

                                          Are you referring to the "War of Northern Aggression"?

                                          Bill Brna

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                            I would....

                                            ... Martin may not appreciate it.

                                            From: votrubam <votrubam@yahoo. com>

                                            To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                                            Date: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

                                            > "East" and "West" as though either are monolithic

                                            Not necessarily. No one speaks of the US in terms of just the east and

                                            west, in real or symbolic geography.

                                            > as there are some even more "eastern" traditions that promote

                                            > that in admitting ignorance even confusion is a seed of

                                            > enlightenment: )

                                            Not too common in Central Europe. By comparison, I'd say that in the the

                                            Anglo-Saxon culture, people are more ready to learn about the world

                                            rather than just about its wealthy and influential regions.

                                            Click now for prescreened plumbing contractors.

                                            http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ fc/BLSrjpTRHJBAI UCp7JRBt0KVKnJFd kgKvBfCzEI1j17Z4 kNOGnxs5GDBOhi/

                                          • Gergely
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 20, 2009
                                              The cultural "delineations" certainly still exist here in Southern VA. Chris' United Daughters of the Confederacy chapter just rededicated our statue to local Confederate war heroes with two City Councilwomen attending, one serving as mistress of ceremonies.
                                              Jack Gergely
                                              Newport News

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 21, 2009
                                                I didn't know that the UDoC were still allowed in public.  Even in the South.  So many misconceptions of who they are & what they stand for.  And those who are ignorant, don't want to know.

                                                Amazing.

                                                From: William F Brna <wfbrna@juno. com>

                                                To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                                                From: votrubam <votrubam@yahoo. com>

                                                To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                                                Date: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 21, 2009
                                                  She's (we're) doing our best to right those misconceptins. Still hold the annual wreath laying at the foot of R. E. Lee's statue in the Virginia Statehouse. Recently kicked a Senator out of office because he disavowed his previous flying of the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia on national television.
                                                  Jack and Chris Gergely
                                                  Newport News

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                                                    I read a couple of Dr. Seuss books this weekend.  That is my reading level. [Verify w/ Helen @ LoC].

                                                    They have nothing to do w/ Slovakia, but the pictures of the houses remind me of the walls, & stairways in the castles.