Re: [Slovak-World] OECD- How do we rate in child health?

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 68 , Sep 2, 2009
      Interesting article.  It also appeared in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

      Jenna

      Message 68 of 68 , Sep 3, 2009
        Unfortunately these numbers are very misleading. Under "infant mortality", the US includes in its reporting every birth where the infant shows any signs of life at all for any length of time at all after birth, while other countries do not count infants who are below a certain weight or size or term. In some countries, cases of infant mortality can be shifted to stillbirths or miscarriages, or the death is shifted to the 13th month instead of the 12th, so the hospital needn't report it as an "infant" death. So you need to make adjustments to the figures to make any meaningful comparison across countries.

        Here's one UNICEF scholarly paper from 2003, discussing Eastern and Central European models of reporting on infant mortality:

        http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:0RXjgaQnDJIJ:www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/iwp95.pdf+infant+mortality+included+slovakia+criteria+stillbirths&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

        Joe