Re: [Slovak-World] Niece's School report

  • Rick Sonzella
    Message 1 of 68 , Sep 2, 2009
      Thank You Ben,
      She is 12 and going to a Catholic School. She had to submit 5 countries from Europe and well since she put Slovakia (Since I have visited there) Her teacher picked that one for her. And any music you would like to share would be great. I would appreciate it and so would she.

      Rick Sonzella

      ________________________________
      From: rson6542 <rson6542@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Niece's School report
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 9:51 AM

      Hello everyone,
      My niece is doing a report on Slovakia for school.. She had to pick out 5
      countries and then her teacher picked 1 of the 5. Slovakia was the only 1
      that none of the other students listed. I would like to get for her some
      pictures of Slovak traditional dress, and if Possible Martin do you and
      would you send me a short video of some festival dancers? Something I can
      download to a disk and she can have playing during her presentation. Ben do
      you know the % of sour cream to feta to make the fake Bryznda? Since it is
      not available here in Florida we have to make due. I already have the
      Halusky made.. It is like an Italian pasta that I had made last night for
      dinner.

      Thank You for all and any help you can offer.

      Rick

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 68 of 68 , Sep 3, 2009
        Unfortunately these numbers are very misleading. Under "infant mortality", the US includes in its reporting every birth where the infant shows any signs of life at all for any length of time at all after birth, while other countries do not count infants who are below a certain weight or size or term. In some countries, cases of infant mortality can be shifted to stillbirths or miscarriages, or the death is shifted to the 13th month instead of the 12th, so the hospital needn't report it as an "infant" death. So you need to make adjustments to the figures to make any meaningful comparison across countries.

        Here's one UNICEF scholarly paper from 2003, discussing Eastern and Central European models of reporting on infant mortality:

        http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:0RXjgaQnDJIJ:www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/iwp95.pdf+infant+mortality+included+slovakia+criteria+stillbirths&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

        Joe