Re: Niece's School report

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 68 , Sep 2, 2009
      > a short video of some festival dancers? Something I can download
      > to a disk and she can have playing during her presentation.

      I agree, something she finds herself would certainly help her learn to look for information about Slovakia (and other topics). I'd suggest for her to search YouTube and for her to download what she finds. Also, making country presentations purely or predominantly folkloric has a lot of appeal among groups of people, but they are not:

      > a report on Slovakia

      ... or any other country just like Hollywood blockbusters or Western rodeos aren't reports on the US. They are representations of people's fantasies, they may be fun, enjoyable, entertaining... but they are not reports on a country.

      Martin
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 68 of 68 , Sep 3, 2009
        Unfortunately these numbers are very misleading. Under "infant mortality", the US includes in its reporting every birth where the infant shows any signs of life at all for any length of time at all after birth, while other countries do not count infants who are below a certain weight or size or term. In some countries, cases of infant mortality can be shifted to stillbirths or miscarriages, or the death is shifted to the 13th month instead of the 12th, so the hospital needn't report it as an "infant" death. So you need to make adjustments to the figures to make any meaningful comparison across countries.

        Here's one UNICEF scholarly paper from 2003, discussing Eastern and Central European models of reporting on infant mortality:

        http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:0RXjgaQnDJIJ:www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/iwp95.pdf+infant+mortality+included+slovakia+criteria+stillbirths&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

        Joe