Re: [Slovak-World] Niece's School report

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 68 , Sep 2, 2009

      Rick,

      I have some still photos taken by Karol Plicka which you can use, just make sure you post his name on them with a text box, as we don't want to violate any copyright laws.

      Let me know if I should send them to your rson6542@... address and I'll try to get to that this afternoon for you.

      Caye

      Message 68 of 68 , Sep 3, 2009
        Unfortunately these numbers are very misleading. Under "infant mortality", the US includes in its reporting every birth where the infant shows any signs of life at all for any length of time at all after birth, while other countries do not count infants who are below a certain weight or size or term. In some countries, cases of infant mortality can be shifted to stillbirths or miscarriages, or the death is shifted to the 13th month instead of the 12th, so the hospital needn't report it as an "infant" death. So you need to make adjustments to the figures to make any meaningful comparison across countries.

        Here's one UNICEF scholarly paper from 2003, discussing Eastern and Central European models of reporting on infant mortality:

        http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:0RXjgaQnDJIJ:www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/iwp95.pdf+infant+mortality+included+slovakia+criteria+stillbirths&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

        Joe