CZ SK PL trip thus far

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2009
      To all @ S/W:

      Thus far, we have visited the following.  My jet lag is better, but I'm still in a a daze:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlstein_Castle
      http://www.hrad-karlstejn.com/en/

      http://www.hradceskysternberk.cz/?en.index

      9/1:
      http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=49.620165&lon=16.34725&zoom=9&q1=prague%2C%20cz&q2=cesky%20sternberk&q3=hlucin%2C%20cz

      9/2:
      http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=49.280165&lon=18.98773&zoom=9&q1=hlucin%2C%20cz&q2=plavinca%2C%20sk&q3=hlucin%2C%20cz

      We went to Carlstein & took a tour mit Eva, our lovely Czech guide (saved 200 CZ Koruna each) & Tomas tranlated.  We visited another CZ castle int Cesky Sternberk, but it was closed.  We wandered the grounds & saw the dungeon. And spent the night mit Tomas' Mamy in Hlucin (Ostrava).  Today we go to take Steve to his relatives in Plavnica SK.  Near the Tatras.  It is amazing to be here.  Today had a small bkfst mit Tomas Mamy.  Good STRONG coffee.

      Smiled yesterday when I saw the Xwalk sign mit the man in the hat walking on the stripes.  And the cute kids mit the hair bow for the school Xing.  So cute.

      I love the lovely Czech countryside.  Rolling hills & nice castles everywhere.  FRA airport is insane.  Every time I thought I would turn down the wrong corridor & end up on the street.  But I found my way eventually.  PRG airport is MUCH more organized, if you can believe it.  Wide open & simple to navigate.  FRA is like a maze.

      Sorry to write so much, but I try to keep you posted on where I am.  Much love to you ALL @ S/W for all your help & suggestions.  Any of you who have not been, make time to go!  I am still pinching myself since it is like a dream to wake up here.

      Especially, Martin, Helen @ LOC, Ben, and all the other regulars that have helped w/ so much input in S/W!

      No internet access for a few days.  Update you later

      Steve & Tomas say, "Hi."

      Chuck from CLT NC.

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2009
        > "true nationality" in terms of biology

        That could translate to "First Drinkers of Fresh Cow Milk" for the "genetic" Slovaks and other Central Europeans according to a research article published in Computational Biology this week.

        It says that humankind first began to drink fresh cow milk (as opposed to mostly fermented sheep or goat milk common elsewhere and earlier) in Central Europe about 7500 years ago and sees a possible link with the spread of the Linear Pottery culture that probably emerged in today's south-western Slovakia and north-western Hungary. Here's a map of, roughly, the original concentration of the lactase gene haplotype needed for fresh milk digestion:

        <http://tinyurl.com/l5dqus>

        Slovakia is between the 17th and 30th meridians. A few heavily edited lines from the article:

        "the spread of the Neolithic lifestyle from the Aegean to Central Europe goes hand in hand with the decline of the importance of sheep and goat and the rise in frequency of cattle [...] the middle Neolithic in SE-Europe and the earliest Neolithic in Central Europe after 7,500 BP show a clear preponderance of cattle [...] the following averaged rates for the respective domestic species: cattle 55.2 percent, sheep and goat 32.6 percent, pig 12 percent.

        "The proportion of cattle in Central Europe increases during the following centuries to an average of 73 percent [...] a fully developed dairying-based farming economy emerges first during the late Neolithic in Southeast Europe and the Middle Neolithic Cultures following the Linearbandkeramik (LBK) in Central Europe [...]

        "In the Mediterranean, milking of cattle occurs episodically and sheep and goat remain the dominant domestics, as they were earlier in Anatolia and the Aegean. It is very likely that the goat and sheep, and to a lesser extent cattle, based economies of the Mediterranean used processed milk in the form of yoghurt, cheese and other milk-derived products instead of fresh milk. The nutritional and agricultural differences between southern Europe, the Mediterranean and central and northern Europe, as well as historic reports, point to this. For instance, the Romans used goat and sheep milk for the production of cheese, and cattle as a draught animal. [...] The geographic region of origin of the LBK –- in modern day Northwest Hungary and Southwest Slovakia -– certainly correlates well with our results."

        The whole rather technical article is here:

        <http://tinyurl.com/l37g5n>

        Martin
      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2009
          Correction: Slovakia is between the 17th and 22nd meridians, not what I typed in the previous post by mistake. M.
        • jenna-m
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
            Thanks for posting this, Martin. I love articles that address the interaction between changes in cultural practices and physical composition.

            Jenna

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
              There was a book published some time recently that postulated that because Europeans live so closely with cattle we developed immunity to some diseases. Something like those Europeans that survived the Black Plague have decendents today that are somewhat resistant to HIV.

              Is there an enthusiasm in Slovakia for 'raw' milk? Some people say its healthier that pasturized.

              Claudia

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              From: votrubam@...
              Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:29:53 +0000

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                > Is there an enthusiasm in Slovakia for 'raw' milk?

                Rather little. Basically, it's not available except directly from a farmer or a farm co-op's outlet, of which there are few, mostly just in small places. But in the past few months, co-op farms started selling fresh unpasteurized milk through vending machines in a couple of places. People come with vessels, push a button and chilled fresh unpasteurized milk -- milked just hours earlier -- pours out.

                Slovak and other Central European milk producers are saying they've been hit hard by competition from Denmark, France, and some other well-established producers. They complain that if they want to sell to a chain now, they have to go below their own cost of milk. Cattle's being sold on a massive scale, some predict that this is the beginning of the end of milk production in Slovakia.

                The novelty vending machines, already fairly common in Switzerland, for instance, are apparently proving successful for the few who set them up in Slovakia. The first one was set up in the small village of Sunava (between Poprad and Liptovsky Mikulas) in the summer:

                <http://www.polnoinfo.sk/img/34/1016.jpg>
                <http://tinyurl.com/me5gmc>

                It apparently sells about 14 gallons a day. The second one, in the town of Banovce nad Bebravou, apparently sells 200-260 gallons a day.

                Martin
              • Matchett
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                  On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Claudia Medvik wrote:

                  > Is there an enthusiasm in Slovakia for 'raw' milk? Some people say
                  > its healthier that pasturized.
                  > Claudia

                  When I was little, we had "raw" milk delivered. My Slovak father was
                  very particular. He was suspicious of anything done to milk. He was
                  healthy food conscious. When Koolaid came on the market, it was
                  forbidden in our house. We had currant juice, grape juice, tomato,
                  etc. from the garden. Julia M.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                    Martin:

                    What a coincidence.  Today, for the first time in my life, I had my first sip of raw, unpasteurized sheep's milk fresh from the pasture just outside of Stary Lubovna.  I don't suppose that may be slightly OT, but I think it's neat.  Also had some fresh sheep's cheese today that was made earlier in the day, also unpasteurized.

                    I cannot describe how peaceful it was in the shadow of the High Tatras, to see the sheep herded in to the pen for evening milking, their tiny bells sounding like a million wind chimes as they approached.

                    I am truly blessed to be here.  And to have learned to do such crazy things on this site.  I just learned about the Slovak sheep dogs, and met some lovely pups, and some very well-trained adult Cuvacs.  Incredible animals.

                    Off for Parchovany & Kosice tomorrow.  Thank you all for all your help over the years, and for your support!

                    Regards,
                    Chuck
                    Stary Lubovna

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                      I have my own issues w/ the OECD calculations.  Certain factors have nothing to do w/ 'health," & much more to do w/ how the health care is disbursed.

                      Correction: Slovakia is between the 17th and 22nd meridians, not what I typed in the previous post by mistake. M.

                    • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                        Chuck!
                        I am thrilled to hear that you are having a great time in SK. I wish I were there...
                        Ben

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                          I am also watching over your school report suggestions.  We are going to have to get you an outfit w/ tights & a cape.  Not for Superman, but for Super Slovak Man.

                          LOL

                          I am thrilled to hear that you are having a great time in SK.  I wish I were there...
                          Ben

                                            > Is there an enthusiasm in Slovakia for 'raw' milk?

                          Rather little.  Basically, it's not available except directly from a farmer or a farm co-op's outlet, of which there are few, mostly just in small places.  But in the past few months, co-op farms started selling fresh unpasteurized milk through vending machines in a couple of places.  People come with vessels, push a button and chilled fresh unpasteurized milk -- milked just hours earlier -- pours out.

                          Slovak and other Central European milk producers are saying they've been hit hard by competition from Denmark, France, and some other well-established producers.  They complain that if they want to sell to a chain now, they have to go below their own cost of milk.  Cattle's being sold on a massive scale, some predict that this is the beginning of the end of milk production in Slovakia.

                          The novelty vending machines, already fairly common in Switzerland, for instance, are apparently proving successful for the few who set them up in Slovakia.  The first one was set up in the small village of Sunava (between Poprad and Liptovsky Mikulas) in the summer:

                          <http://www.polnoinf o.sk/img/ 34/1016.jpg>

                          <http://tinyurl. com/me5gmc>

                          It apparently sells about 14 gallons a day.  The second one, in the town of Banovce nad Bebravou, apparently sells 200-260 gallons a day.

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 3, 2009
                            Wow... Stara Lubovna! I love that place. Isn't it amazing how the sheep move together as if they were of one mind, like a flock of birds?  You are not far from Pribylina- a great place to get a taste of the old Liptov villages! However, you will be going in the OPPOSITE direction tomorrow... Parchovany is a nice lil' place, and Kosice- especially the centre should the singing fountains be going- will blow you away! Go to the Zlaty Dukat for a beer for me...

                            I love that milk- and I love zincica too. The sound of those bells takes me back to some wonderful moments with Dusan and Niki. They say that in Sumiac, the bells are tuned to the sound of thier singing. Whoever is your tour-guide should know about the singing in Sumiac. The first time anyone hears it, it leaves an impression. (In case your tour guide doesn't know what I am talking about, I am putting a great example in the files area for everyone. I claim fair use. :-P)

                            Remember, small bells for lambs, medium bells for ewes, and rams get the largest bells.... :-)
                            Nite, and have a good trip tomorrow!
                            Ben

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 5, 2009
                              Thanks, Ben

                              Made it to Parchovy late AM yest.  Visited the church and then went to the archives just outside Presov.  There, it was too late to gain access, but one of the researchers came downstairs and referred us to the office in Kosice.  None of this was bad.  Driving in SK w- the dramatic scenery is a treat no matter where one goes, w- or w=out detours.

                              Thanks for your memories of the shepherds.  Now I know why the bells all sounded different.  We didnt have a guide, only a kind local neighbor who knew of this place.  It was picturesque.  Sorry about my typing, the keys are different here.

                              But none the less, I fear that this is a lost art that is going away.

                              I had some business to attend to in Kosice so I couldn§t visit the Centrum of the old city, but I did see the Dom, the Opera House on a Fri night and the singing fountains.  It was also a full moon and one of the most romantic spots I§ve ever been.

                              Thanks again, Ben.  Unfortunatelz, I am w- some others so it is difficult to deviate from the path w- zour suggestions.  And I am back in Hlucin w- my host now.  If onlz yzou could communicate telepathicallz....

                              Off for more sightseeing....

                              Chuck

                              ____________ _________ _________ __
                              I am also watching over your school report suggestions.  We are going to have to get you an outfit w/ tights & a cape.  Not for Superman, but for Super Slovak Man.

                              LOL

                              I am thrilled to hear that you are having a great time in SK.  I wish I were there...
                              Ben

                                                > Is there an enthusiasm in Slovakia for 'raw' milk?

                              Rather little.  Basically, it's not available except directly from a farmer or a farm co-op's outlet, of which there are few, mostly just in small places.  But in the past few months, co-op farms started selling fresh unpasteurized milk through vending machines in a couple of places.  People come with vessels, push a button and chilled fresh unpasteurized milk -- milked just hours earlier -- pours out.

                              Slovak and other Central European milk producers are saying they've been hit hard by competition from Denmark, France, and some other well-established producers.  They complain that if they want to sell to a chain now, they have to go below their own cost of milk.  Cattle's being sold on a massive scale, some predict that this is the beginning of the end of milk production in Slovakia.

                              The novelty vending machines, already fairly common in Switzerland, for instance, are apparently proving successful for the few who set them up in Slovakia.  The first one was set up in the small village of Sunava (between Poprad and Liptovsky Mikulas) in the summer:

                              <http://www.polnoinf o.sk/img/ 34/1016.jpg>

                              <http://tinyurl. com/me5gmc>

                              It apparently sells about 14 gallons a day.  The second one, in the town of Banovce nad Bebravou, apparently sells 200-260 gallons a day.

                            • George Sirko
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 6, 2009
                                Dangers of drinking Raw Milk.

                                http://www.in.gov/isdh/24190.htm