Pittsburgh Folk Festival May 2010

  • gregory_kopchak
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2009
      Pittsburgh Folk Festival, Inc.
      P.O. Box 16158
      Pittsburgh, PA, 15242
      www.pghfolkfest.org

      Karen A. Mesaros
      Communications and PR Coordinator
      pghfolkfestpr@...

      The Pittsburgh Folk Festival returns in 2010

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Pittsburgh, PA) August 27, 2009.
      Have you ever traveled around the world in a day?
      When the region's largest multicultural event returns
      next Spring it will be possible to do so with only
      crossing a zip code. The Pittsburgh Folk Festival
      board of directors announced this week that the
      2010 Pittsburgh Folk Festival will take place
      May 14, 15 and 16 at the Monroeville Convention
      Center located 12 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, PA.

      After a difficult decision last March to cancel
      the event for 2009, the festival board is looking
      forward to continue the five-decade long tradition.

      With positioning the festival in Monroeville, the
      venue will be conveniently located to patrons from
      all surrounding Pittsburgh neighborhoods with
      easy access to three main highway connections
      including the turnpike, parkway and Route 22 for
      outlying eastern communities.

      "The facility offers a sumptuous free parking lot
      close to the Monroeville Mall and the Doubletree
      Hotel right next door will offer convenient
      overnight access for out-of-town visitors to the
      festival," said Karen Hall, President, Board of
      Directors, Pittsburgh Folk Festival, Inc.

      In the past, the festival has offered 3100 performers,
      from over 35 cultures and nationalities around the
      globe. Visitors to the festival will be able to feast
      upon delicacies prepared fresh, onsite, from over
      15 international menus along with cultural exhibits,
      ethnic cooking demonstrations and interactive
      learning opportunities for children.

      The return of the popular Multicultural Educational
      Program will be May 14, 2010. On average, this
      educational festival component hosts 2200 middle
      school students from the surrounding Greater Pittsburgh
      area. Students participating in the multi-cultural
      "Around the World in a Day" program will experience
      an itinerary that includes languages, history,
      cultural arts, authentically prepared dishes and
      entertainment by a variety of musicians and dancers
      who are experts in their particular cultural heritage.

      In addition to the festival event, the Pittsburgh
      Folk Festival Inc., member organizations are involved
      with other exciting cultural programs and events
      throughout the year.

      For the latest news and details on upcoming
      announcements as they become available, keep tuned
      to the following online Pittsburgh Folk Festival
      online resources:

      Web: www.pghfolkfest.org
      Blog: http://pghfolkfest.wordpress.com/
      Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/pghfolkfestfanpage
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/pghfolkfest
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009
        I hope it does well! They tried using Monroeville a few years back for a Sept folk fest, and it was quite a flop. People apparently just didn't like the idea of driving out there, even though there was free parking.

        Joe