Re: [Slovak-World] Nova Sedlica

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      At 05:14 PM 2/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:

      >And one last question. What defines the different spellings of the
      >words nový, nová and nové
      >
      >Lowell

      My "w.a.g." would be novy - masculine, nova - feminine, nove - plural
      . Now let's wait for the SS (Slovak Speakers) to shoot it down.

      >Also, at the end of the road, there is a small pond and the letters
      >"ch." nearby. Can anyone tell me what "ch." stands for?

      According to Podrobny, "ch."stands for chata (cottage, hut,, etc.)

      Janko

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Scott T. Mikusko
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Jan Lan wrote:

        > At 05:14 PM 2/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >
        > >And one last question. What defines the different spellings of the
        > >words nový, nová and nové
        > >
        > >Lowell
        >
        > My "w.a.g." would be novy - masculine, nova - feminine, nove - plural
        > . Now let's wait for the SS (Slovak Speakers) to shoot it down.

        That's about right. "nove'" can also be for neuter gender, like Nove
        Mesto.

        Most slovak works that end in -o or -ie are considered neutral gender,
        like rano or cestovanie. Hence "dobre rano", but "dobry den" and "dobra
        voda".

        Yes, "dobru noc" is a bit odd, but that's the accusative form of "dobra".
        Noc is is a bit weird, it's feminine apparently. That's enough confusion,
        now.

        I'm not a native speaker, but I know enough to be dangerous. :)

        -Scott