Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Certizne, Zemplin County

  • slovak821@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
      Helen,
      Thanks for the great pictures. My mom was reared in Medzilaborce.
      Jacqueline

      In a message dated 8/4/2009 1:41:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      hfed@... writes:

      Sorry about not including the url. It's <
      http://jozefjavurek.blog.sme.sk/c/115032/Vychodny-okruh-Certizne.html
      >.

      Interesting addendum to my earlier text on Certizne, taken from the
      communist-era encyclopedia of communities in Slovakia. I was just
      looking elsewhere to see what else I could find on Certizne when I found
      just a little piece of text in a section on Medzilaborce in _Profily
      mesta a obce Slovenska_. In my earlier email, I quoted the encyclopedia
      as saying "Adolf Ivan Dobriansk√Ĺ (1817-1901) lived here 1868-81 and is
      buried here; he was a writer on public affairs and a Ukrainian
      politician.". The _Profily_ book says that Dobriansky was a RUSYN
      activist [buditel']. The communists, I now remember, followed the
      Soviet lead in not considering the Rusyns a separate nationality, but
      rather, Ukrainians.

      >>> Nicholas Sekela <nick@...> 8/3/2009 10:15 PM >>>
      Do you have the url of the Certizne blog?

      Sincerely,

      Nick Sekela

      (973) 557-6733