Re: Hussites in Slovakia

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
      > that shows routes of devastation in Slovakia

      Thanks for the map, Ron. Perhaps with less devastation, the Hussites defeated castles and towns in a larger area, including in East Slovakia, than what's marked as devastated.

      > have referred to the destruction

      It was mostly the other way round in Czechoslovakian sources before WW2, and mentions of devastation were suppressed in Czechoslovakia under communism. The Hussites were fashioned as freedom fighters, anti-clerical promoters of social equality, and harbingers of Slovak--Czech unity then.

      Martin
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
        Martin had a few more comments on the Hussites in Sept 2007, if you
        want to look them up in the archives.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
          Martin:

          You're supposed to be on vacation!

          Is there a link to the map?

          fascinating.

          Chuck

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
            Fascinating.

            thanks Ron!

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
              John, It looks as if some spaces might have been inserted in the link I published.

              Martin & Julia, Thanks. I will have to go back and reread the 2007 commentary out of curiosity.

              I guess the Hussites passed from towns and castles without devastating the countryside. In our US Civil War Sherman's march through Georgia was supposed to leave total devastation 50 miles wide.

              Ron