immigration ques.

  • pollypickit
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hello all! I was reading your posts about slovak immigration--they are really interesting.
      I had a great, great grandmother and grandfather whom came over from Hungry. They were slovaks living in Hungry who fled to Germany and then the US so my great, great grampa could avoid being forced to fight for the Austro-Hungarian empire in WWI. My grandmother (my dad's mom) told me about it. She got to travel to Hungry several years ago and hired someone there to trace the family roots, and that is when she learned they were Slovakian.
      Also, my boyfriend of the past 3 years is from Slovakia. He came here after winning a green card in the lotto. We have a 18 month old son together and we are raising him to be bilingual, of course! Peter (my boyfriend) is from Puchov which is half way between Trencin and Zilina (30 min. train ride to each). Anyone know of this area?
      Does anyone know of any slovak immigrant communites in NC or VA?

      Have a great day!--Sarah
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
        Sarah:

        Who did you use for your genealogical research & what did it cost?  I need to do that, too.  And how long did it take to get the results?

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
          Hi, Sarah!

          I was in Puchov in June, if only to change busses on my way to Povazska Bystrica.  On a prior trip, I stayed in my friend's chata which is accessible by road only by driving through Puchov, so we drove back and forth through there twice a day.  Sometimes we had breakfast at the nice hotel on the south side of town.  Notable for me was the number of teenagers hitchhiking back and forth between Puchov and PB to go to school.

          Ask Peter if he knows about the old archaeological culture called Puchov and if he has been to the site.  Maybe he studied it in school.  I couldn't persuade my friend to help me track it down.

          Margo

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
            In NC, I know of two- Chuck's house and my apartment. :-P

            Actually, I am going to have to delve into that myself, as at the Azalea Festival, many people showed up wearing double-crosses and red,white, and blue.  Though I certainly did not have the same crowd as David Cook, I was still amazed that so many people came out to perform "thier Slovak duty" to hear the fujarist.... :-)

            There is definately something around, as there are alot of Czechs around here in Wilmington.  I find that where there are Czechs, there is usually a small number of Slovaks and vice versa.  Here: http://www.slovakinstitute.com/Census%20Data.pdf

            You will see that NC has a pretty large population (though by no means huge) citing Slovak ancestry in the 1990 census. I can't find, however, a by-county breakdown of this in NC.

            It would be interesting....
            Ben

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
              Yes, Ben, but you are doing more to insure for the survival of our Slovak posterity.

              When are you playing again?  Helen has heard you & speaks highly of your talents.  Please tell me it is before next year's Azalea festival!

              From: pollypickit <sarahwaymack@ yahoo.com>

              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                Chuck,
                I really don't know! I hope I play somewhere before then too!
                Ben

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                  If you don't let me know w/ enough notice, it may be your last time.

                  Just kidding.

                  From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@ yahoo.com>

                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                  Date: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 8:00 PM

                  From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>

                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                  From: pollypickit <sarahwaymack@ yahoo.com>

                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Oh darn...another interesting place, Puchov (had to do some more googling on this one!). Gee if I had time to go there maybe I could feel my Celtic background aligned with my Slovak background;)   Would be interesting to see the archaeological remains there. Did you get to the museum there, Margo?

                    Interesting observation about the teenagers on the road hitchhiking. There is a real community dynamic building in my neighborhood in Philadelphia. A for profit group proposing to serve "at risk" youth want to move into a building (by September) that has been rallied by many in the community as a site to build a food market among other things on a community survey. There are two schools now proposed for the neighborhood, but the contested point is bring in that school not because of the proposed population to serve, but because it has snuck in without regard for working with the local community or serving community youth from the immediate area, as well as that it challenges the plans for "connecting to the riverfront" development in the works for the past couple of years.

                    Jenna

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
                      In VA, I remember reading something about a "colony" of Slovaks somewhere near Petersburg, I believe, but I'm not sure if there are many there today. The biggest grouping is in northern VA, in the Washington, DC suburbs (where I am). We have a local Slovak American Society of Washington, D.C. < www.dcslovaks.org >. You can contact me offline if you'd like more info.

                      For more info on "The Slovaks in America", the Library has this website that I worked on < http://www.loc.gov/rr/european/imsk/slovakia.html >.

                      Helen

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 10, 2009
                        Hi, Jenna!

                        No, I did not go to a museum in Puchov and did not know there was a museum there.

                        Margo