Hussites in Slovakia

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
      Most of the references I have sen to the Hussites in Slovakia/Hungary have referred to the destruction done by the raids and occupation. I have never seen much detail of the Hussite activities. I don't know if this is due to the Catholic influence on what is written into history, or if Slovak Lutherans and Calvinists share the same histories of the Hussite times. There is an interesting map at

      http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/germany/hussitesmap.gif

      that shows routes of devastation in Slovakia, Poland and the surrounding areas.
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
        > that shows routes of devastation in Slovakia

        Thanks for the map, Ron. Perhaps with less devastation, the Hussites defeated castles and towns in a larger area, including in East Slovakia, than what's marked as devastated.

        > have referred to the destruction

        It was mostly the other way round in Czechoslovakian sources before WW2, and mentions of devastation were suppressed in Czechoslovakia under communism. The Hussites were fashioned as freedom fighters, anti-clerical promoters of social equality, and harbingers of Slovak--Czech unity then.

        Martin
      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
          Martin had a few more comments on the Hussites in Sept 2007, if you
          want to look them up in the archives.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
            Martin:

            You're supposed to be on vacation!

            Is there a link to the map?

            fascinating.

            Chuck

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
              Fascinating.

              thanks Ron!

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
                John, It looks as if some spaces might have been inserted in the link I published.

                Martin & Julia, Thanks. I will have to go back and reread the 2007 commentary out of curiosity.

                I guess the Hussites passed from towns and castles without devastating the countryside. In our US Civil War Sherman's march through Georgia was supposed to leave total devastation 50 miles wide.

                Ron