Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Kolachi

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hey Chuck,
      How is it in Charlotte? I am thinking of taking some time to go there this coming weekend. Any suggestions to where to eat/what to see/ where to sleep?
      Ben

      From: Tom Flynn <trflynn@jtan. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 10:04 AM

      On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Ron Matviyak wrote:

      > Well, If I had been more specific with the message it would have answered your question. We drove to San Antonio for lunch one day from Giddings, 120 miles or 117.8 miles if you believe Microsoft Streets and Trips. Just a Texas relaxing drive... back in the '70's most likely.

      We live in Austin, just down the road (290) from Giddings, and up the road

      (I35) from San Antonio..almost equadistant from each.

      Texas is a big state (well, not nearly as big as Alaska, but large for the

      lower 48)...driving long distances is not uncommon.

      I hear what you are saying about frost on the roads...it usually happens

      once or twice a year, it is best to stay off the roads, since there is

      always someone who is lible to run into your vehicle (even if you are

      otherwise a safe driver). My brother-in-law (Vt native for 45 years),

      recently moved to Tx, once got passed (after ice storm) by an impatient

      driver who didn't understand why he was giving a semi-truck ahead a wide

      berth...until the ice slid off the roof of the trailer and cracked the

      passing driver's windshield. Most people here obviously aren't aware of

      hazzards of winter driving since it rarely is needed. Sometimes we even

      need to be reminded of problems due to heat (though this year you would

      think it unlikely since it has been very hot and dry this summer).

      > I started visiting my mother's cousin (more of a dear uncle to us) when the army stationed me in El Paso & I had to fly past anyhow ... and then dropped in on a few drives around the States from Alaska in the '70's. Fr, Mike was a missionary priest in New Guinea from 1946 to 1958 & moved back to the US. He spent the rest of his career taking care of parishioners in Texas, most of that time in Giddings. As far as I know he was the main Slovak influence in that town.

      I would guess so...Giddings is near an area known for Czech (Moravian)

      settlements rather than Slovak. That area is known for the "Painted

      Churches", mostly Czech but some German (even more Germans than Czech in

      Southern Texas, primarily around New Braunfels (NE of San Antonio) or

      Fredericksburg (N of San Antonio). The painted churches are known for

      very nicely done interior artwork, even if the exterior of the building is

      modestly constructed.

      As for restaurants, Russ may have more recent info since he lives in San

      Antonio, but he's off on a mission in Georgia now. I used to live in San

      Antonio, I don't know of any Slovak (or even Czech) restaurants in San

      Antonio, though there are a couple I know of in Austin area...one place

      called Drakula on route 183 serves Romanian food, it is in a strip

      shopping center and isn't fancy looking but the food is pretty good...another in

      Pflugerville called the European Bistro serves mostly Hungarian food..near

      the main "Historical District". There are lots of places here that sell

      Kolache, mostly considered a breakfast food here (often places sell

      Doughnuts and Kolache, to give you an idea, the Kolache often has

      Sausage). San Antonio would of course be primarily known for Mexican

      restaurants, but also German. I don't know if there are any Czech

      restaurants there, but wouldn't be too suprised since it isn't too far

      down I10 from Weimar and Schulenburg which are some of the biggest

      settlements of Moravians. I would be suprised if there was a Slovak

      restaurant there...frankly there just aren't many of us around this area,

      most having come from families who settled in other areas originally

      (primarily back east). I think there are some settlements of Slovaks in

      Nebraska and Indiana, but I've not heard of any in Texas.

      BTW, in San Antonio there is an interesting "Institute of Texas Cultures"

      located in downtown touristed area near Hemisphere Plaza which does cover

      a lot of the ethic groups who came to Texas, along with the Indian,

      Hispanic, and frontier groups for anyone interested in Texas history.

      > Now that I am retired I plan on exploring the US, Alaska and Europe on a more regular basis, and hope to discover more surprises like the old Hungarian couple who ran a restaurant in West Yellowstone with a menu most of us would die for... Hungarian versions of good Slovak food. That also was 28 years ago, so I can't expect to meet them again.

      Congratulations on your retirement and your upcoming travel plans. Hope

      you make a lot of "suprising" discoveries in your travels.

      > Ron

      > --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@ ...> wrote:

      >> Ron:

      >> How far is Giddings from San Antonio? Any good Slovak food in Giddings?

      >> Chuck

      >> --- On Thu, 7/30/09, Ron Matviyak <amiak27@... > wrote:

      >> From: Ron Matviyak <amiak27@... >

      >> Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Kolachi

      >> To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      >> Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 5:44 PM

      >> I was visiting a Slovak cousin in Giddings, Texas and discovered that driving 120 miles for lunch is not an unusual thing. Of course, put a touch of frost on those otherwise great roads and you have the longest parking lot lanes in the world ....

      >> Ron

      >> --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:

      >>> I wa tooling around on the Web, doing what librarians do, and found these two articles, written by the same guy. I realize that Houston and San Antonio are about 200 miles apart, but...

      >>> < http://www.examiner .com/x-3259- Houston-Cheap- Eats-Examiner~ y2009m3d11- Polonia-- Tasty-if- heavy-on- the-arteries- but-light- on-the-wallet >

      >>> and

      >>> < http://www.examiner .com/x-3259- Houston-Cheap- Eats-Examiner~ y2009m5d1- Why-do-we- have-to-drive- out-of-town- for-a-good- kolache >.

      >>> H

      >>> Most excellent, Greg!

      >>> --- On Thu, 7/30/09, Gregory J Kopchak <greg@> wrote:

      >>> From: Gregory J Kopchak <greg@>

      >>> Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Kolachi

      >>> http://www.bavarian grill.com/

      >>> Greg Kopchak

      ---------

      Tom Flynn

      I speak only for myself

      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 31, 2009
        "MFWICs"??

        >>> LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> 7/31/2009 11:20 AM >>>
        This is what I deal w/ in CLT:

        http://charlotte-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g49022-c16-Charlotte_North_Carolina.html

        American/Armenian wing restaurants. THIS is culture here. But we do have great BBQ.

        Helen, be grateful you're in DC. It can be a royal pain w/ all the MFWICs, but you DO have good restaurants!

        I wa tooling around on the Web, doing what librarians do, and found these two articles, written by the same guy. I realize that Houston and San Antonio are about 200 miles apart, but...

        < http://www.examiner .com/x-3259- Houston-Cheap- Eats-Examiner~ y2009m3d11- Polonia-- Tasty-if- heavy-on- the-arteries- but-light- on-the-wallet >

        and

        < http://www.examiner .com/x-3259- Houston-Cheap- Eats-Examiner~ y2009m5d1- Why-do-we- have-to-drive- out-of-town- for-a-good- kolache >.

        >>> LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@ yahoo.com> 7/30/2009 11:04 AM >>>