Re: Tkach Tkacs

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      Dear Deborah

      Let me begin by telling you that the Tkac/Tkach/Tkacs surname is quite
      common in Slovakia.
      However, I do believe that Sacurrow in Zemplin is actually
      Sacurov, Slovakia; formerly Szacsúr, Zemplén.

      The LDS library does carry films for this particular town. You need to
      know if the family was Roman Catholic or Greek Catholic.
      1793678 Items 3 - 6 ; 1793679; 793680 Item 1 are the Roman Catholic
      Films for Sacurov.

      1793680 Item 2 is the film for Greek Catholic records.

      Slovakia was under Austria-Hungarian rule when your relatives came over,
      which explains why records would list them as being from Hungary.

      It apears that you have some idea of when your gr. grandfather was born.
      If the year falls within the parameters of the film, you may be able to
      find some valuable information. It looks like the records go from 1770
      to 1895. That being the case, you may be able to find the birth of your
      gr. grandfather. If you are forunate, the marriage will be written on
      the baptismal entry, and that may give pertinent info to find ing out
      more about his wife.

      You have not mentioned where the family went in the United States.
      I did find a Maria traveling in 1910 on The Carmania. She was meeting
      her husband, George in what looks like Lake or Lone city, Ohio.
      Since I don' t have any details, that's about all I can offer you for
      now.

      Good luck.

      Barbara