Re: Slovakia Update

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 9:24 AM
       If you are coming to Slovakia this summer you might consider twice before going to Banska Stiavnica - the main road through town is totally torn up and most shops are closed and there is almost no access to hotels or restaurants - we gave up and went to Svaty Anton to a charming penzion.

      AND

      Piestany - can't even get near the walking area by car - they are building a shopping mall of all things and re-doing all the access routes to the historic section.

      Otherwise Slovakia is as wonderful as ever - Helpa Festival was lovely!

      Penzions are the best deal - hotels are often over 100 euros a night.

      I remember staying at the Laugariccio hotel in Trencin in 1975 for 75 cents a night - gone are the days! Back then there were wonderful bands and everyone danced and when the band took a break people sang folk songs in multi- part harmony!

      helene

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 10:49 AM
        On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:24 PM, helene cincebeaux wrote:

        > Penzions are the best deal - hotels are often over 100 euros a night.

        I loved staying in penzions on my last trip (2006). I had very good
        luck choosing them from a guidebook and making reservations online
        ahead of time. The only possible downside I'd make people aware of
        was that *in my experience* we were less likely to find English-
        speaking staff at a penzion vs a hotel. I didn't mind that, but
        others might.

        Sorry to hear Banska Stiavnica is so inaccessible; maybe it'll be
        better by the time I can return (2010?)

        Julie Michutka, wishing I were there
        jmm@...
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 11:13 AM

          Helene, wave at those road workers, one is my cousin's husband -- so build on Slovakia, and enjoy Helene, wish I were there!

          Caye

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 11:35 AM
            > I felt so JIPPED! (If that is how you spell it.)

            Gypped. It's from _gypsy_, shows the old bias, just like the Slovak and Polish _ciganit/cyganic_ with the same origin and a similar meaning.

            > How is/was Slovakia?

            Well...

            <http://tinyurl.com/l9a76p>