Re: [Slovak-World] Work visas

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2009

      In my recent experience, they get a work visa from their embassy -- all dependent upon their studies, as they are encouraged to find work in their field of study (not likely in this economy, nor is there much enforcement.  However, the rub, and in this economy good luck here -- you MUST get employment in writing BEFORE the visa is actually issued -- so if you are the sponsor, you must be the one to find the job and get the employer to fill out a form saying there is an actual job with approximate hours and the amount of the hourly pay.

      That visa was a J-1 -- or they could get a travel only visa which is good for 90 days -- but make sure there is a return ticket, or there will be some serious delays at customs.

      Caye

      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 1, 2009
        > Nah, I disagree with grouping in-family inheritance with

        An opinion on whether inheritance should or should should not be taxed has nothing to do with the argument "... because it's already been taxed." That it has been taxed just as other sources of income have been taxed is a fact.

        The other issue, "should/not be taxed" is a matter of opinion, what's fallacious is the fictitious supporting argument ... because it's already been taxed." The opinion can be supported, e.g., with the argument that "it's in the family/blood/genes..." or other arguments, but not with "... because it's already been taxed," since other sources of income have been taxed before too.

        What's taxed in each instance is the transfer of money from one person to another person. The question is what transfers of money should/not be taxed -- the US tax law contains a multitude of exceptions to taxing transfers of money, so does the Slovak law.

        The Slovak law lists inheritance among the exceptions, the US law does not.

        > that's why there's different parties

        It doesn't have as much to do with parties as one might imagine. Washington didn't change its tax law in this respect under Bush's rightist government. Bratislava hasn't changed its law under Fico's leftist government.