Re: [Slovak-World] Wedding Traditions

  • Donna Lachney
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
      Hello, That all sounds like fun.  I wish people here in IN had those types of traditional weddings.  Donna

      From: Michelle Burke <mcmburke@yahoo. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, June 26, 2009, 11:10 PM

      That all sounds right (I remember going to random weddings with my grandma -- and not having any idea who was getting married) -- and don't forget the ceregi (recipes are in the Anniversary Slovak-American Cookbook) -- which are deep-fried "bows" (you start with a square, slit it in the middle, and draw one end through the slit, and then dump them quickly into the deep fat, and then you drain them and sprinkle them with powdered sugar) -- I only ate them at weddings.

      I remember the money dance too -- and of course, polkas, and then there was always the "chicken dance" ...

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      From: Gergely <gergely@visi. net>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Wedding Traditions
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, June 26, 2009, 9:16 AM

      You must have the bride's money dance, with the groom eventually throwing the bride over his shoulder and carrying her out .
      Everybody donates to dance with the bride. The maid of honor collects money in her apron, and everyone who dances gets a shot of hard stuff.
      We pulled this off with both of our daughters' three weddings (You do the math.) here in the South and even in Germany.
      The German groom went along with the tradition just fine.
      We even got my wife's tea totteling Baptist niece to down her shot.
      I have film of my sister cackling that she had conned two of my other daughter's husbands into do it.
      I have film of two recent weddings sent from both sides of my family in Eastern Slovakia, and they did the dance.
      Jack Gergely
      Newport News

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
        Isn't there a song that is sung?? Oh? Bride Oh Bride Where Can She Be
        The song has many verses