Re: [Slovak-World] Mckeesport/Allegheny County Genealogy

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
      Hahaha!! McKeesport and McKees Rocks - outside of Pittsburgh. I thing every Slovak on earth has relatives there. I have lots of relatives (I believe) in the area but, when I tried to contact them, I had the phone slammed down almost invariably. They (and I understand) were elderly and felt it was some kind of scam, despite my best attempts to convince them otherwise. After several calls to people with the same surname as I have...I abandoned the quest. A pity, actually.

      Paul Wolsko
      Hopatcong, NJ (Born in Passaic, NJ)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
        I read this as Pennsylvania having pretty good privacy laws. It may be bad for any of us doing research, but it does protect the privacy of the families involved.

        The Europeans generally have better privacy protections than we do, so a good part of the work over there is difficult as well. In the US it seems quite common for us to not worry about our private information and assume the same standard for the rest of the world.

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

        > I am so frustrated with Pennsylvania and in particular the states
        > requirements in obtaining any records for genealogy research.
        >
        > Not only do you need to show relationship (which you are trying to
        > establish) you also need to provide the dates in which you are seeking!
        >
        > Any insight into this from the group would be great!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dennis

      • Barbara
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
          Dear Dennis,

          We might be able to help you out more if we knew just what you were seeking.
          Your post is rather general. Why not give some particulars about info
          that you are attempting to find?

          Perhaps someone may be able to offer some insight.

          Barbara
        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
            A few years ago I dealt quite successfully with the archives in New Castle, PA when looking for papers on my grandfather and others. Of course I guess it helped that I have the same surname so listed myself as grandson on the form. They responded with what I needed
            R/Bill
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Joann P" <joannp1@...> wrote:

            > Dennis:
            >
            > The only way I could get info out of Pa was to go to the county and visit the lilbrary and research the newspaper archives and the census and whatever else they had in the genealogy room. The courthouses don't hold much because all info is sent to New Castle, Pa and there is where you hit the "stone wall" because you do need all the info you listed. Since you are no where close to Pa., maybe someone in the group knows someone in the McKeesport area that does some research. Just a thought!!
            >
            > What are you looking for in McKeesport? My dad's father was from there and I still have one cousin who lives there.
            >
            > Joann

          • Dennis and Donna
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
              Barbara,

              Besides her date of birth,Oct.15,1909 and Mary Tokar still at home and
              single in the 1920 census for Mckeesport.

              I have nothing. Did she Marry? Whom did she Marry? 1930 census she is
              gone. There is a listing for a Mary Tokar in the 1946 directory but is
              this her?

              Anything more than I know would be good..... This is a tough one.

              Thanks, Dennis