Re: [Slovak-World] Cake Recipe?

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
      Intrigued -- I Googled this topic, and discovered a recipe for a 14 layer cake, that refers to a Martha Stewart recipe for a 40-layer crepe cake.  Since Martha Stewart comes from a Polish family, I suspect this the cake you are looking for -- and there are references in the 14-layer cake post to a Dobosch Torte.  Here's the link:  http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/fourteen-for-fourteenth.html?commentPage=2%c2%a0-- somewhere in the posts, Martha's cake is mentioned.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
        RECIPE WITH PHOTOS:

        Link:

        http://ceramiccanvas.com/2009/05/crepes-cake-with-chocolate-meringue-frosting/

        Couldn't find the cake in Bakerella web-site...
        ...so, I googled the whole phrase" Martha Stewart recipe for 40 layer cake"

        A very complete recipe with blog commentary, and best of all,
        lots of photos of the process and finished product. YUMMY!!!

        Happy Baking!

        Jane
        =============================

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

        > Intrigued -- I Googled this topic, and discovered a recipe for a 14 layer cake, that refers to a Martha Stewart recipe for a 40-layer crepe cake.  Since Martha Stewart comes from a Polish family, I suspect this the cake you are looking for -- and there are references in the 14-layer cake post to a Dobosch Torte.  Here's the link:  http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/fourteen-for-fourteenth.html?commentPage=2%c2%a0-- somewhere in the posts, Martha's cake is mentioned.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
          40 vrstiev Vianočného tortu

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Try another Yahoo group that exchanges & discusses Eastern European recipes.
          It says Carpatho-Rusyn, but they always talk about food
          from that whole area of the world.

          Here is the link:

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Carpatho- Rusyn-Recipes/

          Good luck!

          Jane
          ============ ========= ========= ===

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2009
            Anyone care to bring this or the other cake to the festival in November???????????

            >>> "J." <cousinjanie1004@...> 6/9/2009 12:44:15 PM >>>
            RECIPE WITH PHOTOS:

            Link:

            http://ceramiccanvas.com/2009/05/crepes-cake-with-chocolate-meringue-frosting/

            Couldn't find the cake in Bakerella web-site...
            ...so, I googled the whole phrase" Martha Stewart recipe for 40 layer cake"

            A very complete recipe with blog commentary, and best of all,
            lots of photos of the process and finished product. YUMMY!!!

            Happy Baking!

            Jane
            =============================

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

            > Intrigued -- I Googled this topic, and discovered a recipe for a 14 layer cake, that refers to a Martha Stewart recipe for a 40-layer crepe cake. Since Martha Stewart comes from a Polish family, I suspect this the cake you are looking for -- and there are references in the 14-layer cake post to a Dobosch Torte. Here's the link: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/fourteen-for-fourteenth.html?commentPage=2 -- somewhere in the posts, Martha's cake is mentioned.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2009
              I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio.

              Whenever Mom went downtown she stopped at Strouss Department
              Store to get a Layered Cake.

              The cake was 1/8 inch of cake topped with frosting and layered.

              If memory serves me correctly, there were seven layers of cake
              and frosting.

              If you had a cake you remember 40 years after eating it it must be
              great.

              Let us know.

              Greg

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mdndmdnd" <lukachick@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Does anyone know of a Slovak forty (40) layer Christmas Cake?
              >
              > Someone ask my husband if he had a recipe. He is not familiar with the cake. I tried doing a search but came up empty.
              >
              > We have the Slovak-American Cook Book, I didn't find it in there.
              >

              > Thank you for your thoughts.
              >
              > Debbie

            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2009
                God Bless Martha Stewart!

                Her mother came from Southern Poland, north of Northern Slovakia.

                Greg

              • byza7@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2009
                  GREG,

                  I have roots from Yougstown Ohio and and remember when there was a
                  Strous's and Mc Kelvey's.

                  Are you speaking of th multi layer TORT cake? My mother use to have
                  that recipe but over the years it was lost. Hopefully, someone will post
                  that original cake recipe.

                  David Novak

                  --- In _Slovak-World@Slovak-WorldSlo_ (mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com)
                  , "mdndmdnd" <lukachick@.lu> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Does anyone know of a Slovak forty (40) layer Christmas Cake?
                  >
                  > Someone ask my husband if he had a recipe. He is not familiar with the
                  cake. I tried doing a search but came up empty.

                  > We have the Slovak-American Cook Book, I didn't find it in there.
                  >

                  > Thank you for your thoughts.
                  >
                  > Debbie

                  grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)

                • j_coulter77
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 23, 2009
                    I have an idea for you cake.

                    Try this: make 10 simple sponge cakes slice each into 4 layers each fill with Nutella (or a mix of Nutella and Buttercream) ice, garnish and serve?

                    That would be the best route since there is no recipe.

                    Jennie