Mailing a package to Slovakia

  • Dennis Ragan
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2009
      Anyone have advice on sending small packages to Slovakia? Wanted to send a small gift to a relative, but the international 1st-class postage for a 10 oz package from here to there is almost $11. Used to be possible to send packages by other than 1st class. I guess that option doesn't exist anymore. Any other options?
      Dennis
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 12 , May 30, 2009
        Another option is to send cash and they can buy everything there
        anyway. Better selection on everything and more choices than in USA
        or CANADA, and that is EUROPE.

        Vladi

        At 10:06 AM 5/30/2009, you wrote:

        >Anyone have advice on sending small packages to Slovakia? Wanted to
        >send a small gift to a relative, but the international 1st-class
        >postage for a 10 oz package from here to there is almost $11. Used
        >to be possible to send packages by other than 1st class. I guess
        >that option doesn't exist anymore. Any other options?
        >Dennis

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2009
          Here's a link for the USPS rates to Slovakia. First-Class Mail
          International, up to 4 pounds, is the least costly that I have found. It is
          basically dependent on the size and weight. The rates went up sometime this
          past Winter and I believe that they are talking about raising them again.

          Change is NOT always a GOOD thing! But it is, however, inevitable!

          http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ps_028.htm#ep1636056

          There are others available like FEDX and UPS but they generally cost a bit
          more.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 30, 2009
            Not always the case. Many visitors from Europe claim prices are
            cheaper here than in Europe. They like to buy "label" clothing e.g.
            Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, etc. I was listening to a young Czech woman
            tell my relatives who visited here last March, where to buy nice
            clothes to take back to Europe (like all her friends do).

            Julia M.

          • byza7@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 30, 2009
              +Glory to Jesus Christ ! +His Glory be Forever !

              Dennis,

              I send letters and packages to Slovakia at least 2 to 3 times a year.

              Let me address the situation of large packages/boxes.

              Up until May of last year (2008) you could take a large package/box to the
              post office and send it Parcel Post. Which meant it was cheaper but
              slower to arrive in the Slovak Republic. Last October (2008) I was shocked to
              find out that Parcel Post was NO longer available and I would have to send
              it regular postal rates. Of course, that meant the price went up much
              higher. I had no recourse but to send it that way.

              The packages and large box I send each year is to a village in Eastern
              Slovakia so of course they receive my letters/packages in about 10 business
              days where Parcel Post package/box would take about 30 days.

              I tried sending the box via UPS or FedEx but they deliver to the MAJOR big
              cities in Slovakia like Kosice, and Presov but NOT to the villages. I
              can't recall the rate to my relatives village but will deliver a package to a
              village but it costs "an arm and a leg" so to speak.

              So regular post office is the ONLY way to send even though the prices have
              increased. The PRICE of that postal package is based on not only
              distance but the exact measurement (height and width) of the box along with the
              weight.

              So what ever you can do keep the box down to the tightest size to match
              what is being sent.

              Hope that helps you out.

              David Novak

              In a message dated 5/30/2009 2:07:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              wmatchett@... writes:

              Not always the case. Many visitors from Europe claim prices are
              cheaper here than in Europe. They like to buy "label" clothing e.g.
              Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, etc. I was listening to a young Czech woman
              tell my relatives who visited here last March, where to buy nice
              clothes to take back to Europe (like all her friends do).

              Julia M.

              > Another option is to send cash and they can buy everything there
              > anyway. Better selection on everything and more choices than in USA
              > or CANADA, and that is EUROPE.
              >
              > Vladi
              >
              > At 10:06 AM 5/30/2009, you wrote:
              >
              > >Anyone have advice on sending small packages to Slovakia? Wanted to
              > >send a small gift to a relative, but the international 1st-class
              > >postage for a 10 oz package from here to there is almost $11. Used
              > >to be possible to send packages by other than 1st class. I guess
              > >that option doesn't exist anymore. Any other options?
              > >Dennis

              (http://www.whereitsat.com/#/music/all-spots/355/47.796964/-66.37471
              1/2/Youve-Found-Where-Its-At?ncid=emlcntnew00000007)

            • Katherine
              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2009
                There is another way to send packages to Slovakia. There are several Polish travel agencies that will accept
                packages and ship them through Poland. They are sent freight, takes about two months, delivered by truck
                to the address and your relatives do not pay any duty. We have been doing this for several years and have
                had no problems and nothing stolen either. I live in New Jersey. I think it is a little cheaper too.
                Katherine

                wmatchett@... writes:

                Not always the case. Many visitors from Europe claim prices are

                cheaper here than in Europe. They like to buy "label" clothing e.g.

                Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, etc. I was listening to a young Czech woman

                tell my relatives who visited here last March, where to buy nice

                clothes to take back to Europe (like all her friends do).

                Julia M.

                > Another option is to send cash and they can buy everything there

                > anyway. Better selection on everything and more choices than in USA

                > or CANADA, and that is EUROPE.

                > Vladi

                > At 10:06 AM 5/30/2009, you wrote:

                > >Anyone have advice on sending small packages to Slovakia? Wanted to

                > >send a small gift to a relative, but the international 1st-class

                > >postage for a 10 oz package from here to there is almost $11. Used

                > >to be possible to send packages by other than 1st class. I guess

                > >that option doesn't exist anymore. Any other options?

                > >Dennis

                (http://www.whereitsat.com/#/music/all-spots/355/47.796964/-66.37471

                1/2/Youve-Found-Where-Its-At?ncid=emlcntnew00000007)

              • Ron Matviyak
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2009
                  keep in mind that the dollar is quite lowab
                  nd that will affect the relative value of what you send. I am currently in the Cyech Republic and the dollar will buy 18.5 Crowns. It will also buy 70 Euro cents.

                  It is easier buying what I need here without considering the exchange rate, which makes it appear too expensive.

                  Ron
                • PRabich@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Hi,

                    Try the flat rate to Slovakia. It doesn't matter the weight, it just must
                    fit in a specific size box which you can get at the post office for free.
                    I found that was the better option when my exchange student sent her
                    parents a package. It really didn't take that long. That was at Christmas 2008.
                    She didn't send any packages lately.

                    Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                    Steps!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
                    eExcfooterNO62)

                  • byza7@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Pat,

                      Just recently I was in the U.S. post office and questioned them about
                      their current "flat rate" charge and sizes of boxes.

                      Even their LARGE box is rather small if shipping a large quantity to the
                      Slovak Republic. Best to check the post office boxes first hand because my
                      idea of a large box could be very different from others.

                      David Novak

                      In a message dated 6/1/2009 8:52:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      PRabich@... writes:

                      Hi,

                      Try the flat rate to Slovakia. It doesn't matter the weight, it just must
                      fit in a specific size box which you can get at the post office for free.
                      I found that was the better option when my exchange student sent her
                      parents a package. It really didn't take that long. That was at Christmas
                      2008.
                      She didn't send any packages lately.

                      Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                      ************************<WBR>**An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Your
                      Steps!
                      (_http://pr.atwola.http://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht
                      tp://pr.ahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwo&<WBR>hmpg&<WBR>bc_
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http
                      ://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun)
                      eExcfooterNO62)

                      cntnew00000007)

                    • George Dolak
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
                        This is not Rocket Science.
                        The United States Postal Service posts the rates and conditions on line.

                        From experience I will correct the information in some of the previous posts:

                        There is a limit to the weight one can internationally ship in the Priority Mail Large Flat Rate box - it is 20 pounds.

                        The volume of the box is one half a cubic foot: 12 inches X 12 inches X 6 inches deep. These are the outside dimensions of the box provided free by the USPS.
                        Therefore the inside dimensions are reduced by about one quarter inch in each measurement.

                        If you can fit your items into this carton and the total weight exceeds about 6 pounds, you are matching the cost of sending the same parcel via parcel post. If your total weight exceeds 6 pounds but is less than 20 pounds - you are getting a good deal since anything in excess of 6 pounds is traveling free.
                      • Gergely
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
                          No that is understandable!
                          Good work.
                          Jack Gergely
                          Newport News

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                            There is no Parcel Post available for international shipping anymore.
                            Parcel Post has been absorbed by Priority Mail International and First-Class
                            Mail International. The USPS international shipping methods to Slovakia are
                            those listed below. Parcel Post is still available for domestic shipments
                            within the USA but quite often, depending on distance, the rates end up
                            being only a few cents different than Priority Mail.

                            Global Express Guaranteed --- Very Expensive but is very quick with a
                            guaranteed delivery time.

                            Express Mail International --- Next Most Costly and Quite Quick.

                            Express Mail International - Flat Rate --- Pretty much the same a George
                            describedthe Priority mailing.

                            Priority Mail International --- Somewhat Costly -- Priority Option if over
                            the 20 Pounds of the Flat Rate.

                            Priority Mail International - Flat Rate --- Once again pretty much as
                            George described it.

                            First-Class Mail International --- Lowest Cost but is limited to a max of
                            of 4 pounds - It but can be slow.

                            Once again this web page pretty much describes and gives the cost in table
                            format for each form of shipping that it currently available by the USPS.
                            It also describes Insurance and Customs Form requirements and also lists the
                            items that are Prohibited and Restricted.

                            http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ps_028.htm#ep1636056

                            The link below is a list of all countries and a link to the shipping
                            information that the USPS will deliver packages and letters to.

                            http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immctry.htm