Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Another saying

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4, 2009
      Ahoj Helen... and others :-)
      It isn't really the "country's comedians," but more like a Slovak version of "Bugs Bunny" (with very different plots, outcomes, feel...) Matko and Kubko are two bacovia, and their antics and escapades were the stuff that Slovak childhood was made of.  They were a mainstay of the "Vecernicek," a nightly children's programming that is carried on to this day.

      The "Matko a Kubko" DVD, with all 13 of their installments, is for sale on stv.sk, under the Zlaty fond. It is considered classic Slovak programming, and, if I may endorse this series, I find the "Matko a Kubko" series to be more wholesome than most of what was being shown in America.
      Here is a link to a bunch on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=matko+a+kubko&aq=0&oq=Matko+

      Oh, on a side note- the voice of the series is none other than Jozef Kroner, who also made the character Kubo (NO relation to the animated baca!) famous in the film of the same name. It is also available on STV's "Zlaty fond," and this Kubo is the one that Martin describes- the village idiot, if you will. Both are brilliantly done, though I felt bad for Kubo- the character is portrayed as obviously mentally retarded, and his mistreatment is definitely sad- and almost condoned in the film.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 4, 2009
        Right on, Ben. Thanks for the clarification. I think the Slovak who told me
        about these characters did say it was a children's thing.
        Anyway, when I wear my T-shirt, I always get comments.
        Lil

        "To be nobody but myself."
        www.ljunas.com

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2009
          Did anyone watch the clips? Lil, I think you would love them.....
          Ben

          On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > Ahoj Helen... and others :-)
          > It isn't really the "country's comedians," but more like a Slovak version
          > of "Bugs Bunny" (with very different plots, outcomes, feel...) Matko and
          > Kubko are two bacovia, and their antics and escapades were the stuff that
          > Slovak childhood was made of. They were a mainstay of the "Vecernicek, " a
          > nightly children's programming that is carried on to this day.
          >
          > The "Matko a Kubko" DVD, with all 13 of their installments, is for sale on
          > stv.sk, under the Zlaty fond. It is considered classic Slovak programming,
          > and, if I may endorse this series, I find the "Matko a Kubko" series to be
          > more wholesome than most of what was being shown in America.
          > Here is a link to a bunch on YouTube:
          >
          > http://www.youtube com/results? search_type= &search_query= matko+a+kubko& aq=0&oq=Matko+
          >
          > Oh, on a side note- the voice of the series is none other than Jozef
          > Kroner, who also made the character Kubo (NO relation to the animated
          > baca!) famous in the film of the same name. It is also available on STV's
          > "Zlaty fond," and this Kubo is the one that Martin describes- the village
          > idiot, if you will. Both are brilliantly done, though I felt bad for Kubo-
          > the character is portrayed as obviously mentally retarded, and his
          > mistreatment is definitely sad- and almost condoned in the film.

          "To be nobody but myself."
          www.ljunas.com

        • Lil Junas
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2009
            I'm having trouble accessing the clips. Will keep trying cuz I'd like to see
            some of these videos.
            Lil

            "To be nobody but myself."
            www.ljunas.com

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2009
              Hey Lil,
              Now, they are completely in Slovak, but still cute.  Try going to YouTube and search Matko Kubko. I am sure it will bring full-length cartoons. :-)
              Vela stastia!
              Ben

              On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > Did anyone watch the clips? Lil, I think you would love them.....
              > Ben

              "To be nobody but myself."
              www.ljunas.com

            • Dorothy L Fitts
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                Ahoj Ben,

                You are so right! I went to the you tube site. It is great even if I don't
                understand what they are saying!

                Dorothy

                It isn't really the "country's comedians," but more like a Slovak version of
                "Bugs Bunny" (with very different plots, outcomes, feel...) Matko and Kubko
                are two bacovia, and their antics and escapades were the stuff that Slovak
                childhood was made of. They were a mainstay of the "Vecernicek," a nightly
                children's programming that is carried on to this day.

                The "Matko a Kubko" DVD, with all 13 of their installments, is for sale on
                stv.sk, under the Zlaty fond. It is considered classic Slovak programming,
                and, if I may endorse this series, I find the "Matko a Kubko" series to be
                more wholesome than most of what was being shown in America.
                Here is a link to a bunch on YouTube:
                http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=
                <http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=matko+a+kubko&aq=0
                &oq=Matko+> &search_query=matko+a+kubko&aq=0&oq=Matko+

                --- On Mon, 5/4/09, Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov> >

                From: Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov> >
                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

                I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today.
                What's his "shtick"?

                What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional
                and contemporary) ?

                >>> Lil Junas <povetzlil@gmail. com> 5/4/2009 2:35 PM >>>
                I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the
                coun ry's comedians.
                Lil

                On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com> wrote:

                > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the
                > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand
                > > his role in this saying.
                >
                > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb
                > one.
                >

                > Martin

                "To be nobody but myself."
                www.ljunas.com

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                  Hey Dorothy,
                  There were many of these- Pa a Pi (Pa and Pi), two cats who would travel the universe- and land on earth to learn about animals, gave Slovak children great natural science lessons.  Macko Usko, a teddy bear with a deformed ear, taught children about social norms and politeness.  One of my favorites (available on 3 DVD's on STV Zlaty fond) is Bambulka, a little girl sent to Bratislava (I think... they never outright say it, but the beginning credits and the city looks like Bratislava) from the mythical place Bambulkovo- where children are allowed to run free without discipline or manners- to learn how to be good, swim, and basic social niceties.  These were all popular serials, and still are! Niki, in fact, is telling me that he wants to watch this "hned teraz" before he goes to bed. :-)

                  All of these, with Pa a Pi having the fewest shows, are on YouTube. Just type them in search, and you will LOVE them!

                  From: Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed% 40loc.gov> >
                  To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:Slovak- World%40yahoogro ups.com>
                  Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

                  I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today.
                  What's his "shtick"?

                  What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional
                  and contemporary) ?

                  >>> Lil Junas <povetzlil@gmail. com> 5/4/2009 2:35 PM >>>
                  I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the
                  coun ry's comedians.
                  Lil

                  On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the
                  > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand
                  > > his role in this saying.
                  >
                  > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb
                  > one.
                  >

                  > Martin

                  "To be nobody but myself."
                  www.ljunas.com

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                    Hey all who are watching Slovak children's programming-

                    I just wanted to fix something that I said last night- Pa a Pi is now on YouTube- about a week ago there were only 2 or 3 posts, and last night, Niki was up late watching them. :-) I learned some things about swans and frogs that I didn't know... :-)

                    norano9 posted them, so you can search for Pa a Pi from that subscriber.  The theme, just for interest, is sung by Marika Gombitova- a great singer know for her haunting yet piercing voice.  She also co-starred in "Neberte nam princeznu (Don't Take Our Princess!)" with Miro Zbirka.  After a tragic accident that has left her in a wheelchair, she has all but disappeared from the public eye.

                    From: Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed% 40loc.gov> >
                    To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:Slovak- World%40yahoogro ups.com>
                    Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

                    I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today.
                    What's his "shtick"?

                    What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional
                    and contemporary) ?

                    >>> Lil Junas <povetzlil@gmail. com> 5/4/2009 2:35 PM >>>
                    I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the
                    coun ry's comedians.
                    Lil

                    On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the
                    > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand
                    > > his role in this saying.
                    >
                    > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb
                    > one.
                    >

                    > Martin

                    "To be nobody but myself."
                    www.ljunas.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                      Good music, too.

                      Sort of like Maybery SK.

                      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>

                      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                      Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

                      I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today. What's his "shtick"?

                      What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional and contemporary) ?

                      >>> Lil Junas <povetzlil@gmail. com> 5/4/2009 2:35 PM >>>

                      I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the

                      coun ry's comedians.

                      Lil

                      On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com> wrote:

                      > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the

                      > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand

                      > > his role in this saying.

                      > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb

                      > one.

                      > Martin

                      "To be nobody but myself."

                      www.ljunas.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 11, 2009
                        Tshirt?

                        Where pray tell did you get that?

                        Right on, Ben. Thanks for the clarification. I think the Slovak who told me

                        about these characters did say it was a children's thing.

                        Anyway, when I wear my T-shirt, I always get comments.

                        Lil

                        On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                        > Ahoj Helen... and others :-)

                        > It isn't really the "country's comedians," but more like a Slovak version

                        > of "Bugs Bunny" (with very different plots, outcomes, feel...) Matko and

                        > Kubko are two bacovia, and their antics and escapades were the stuff that

                        > Slovak childhood was made of. They were a mainstay of the "Vecernicek, " a

                        > nightly children's programming that is carried on to this day.

                        > The "Matko a Kubko" DVD, with all 13 of their installments, is for sale on

                        > stv.sk, under the Zlaty fond. It is considered classic Slovak programming,

                        > and, if I may endorse this series, I find the "Matko a Kubko" series to be

                        > more wholesome than most of what was being shown in America.

                        > Here is a link to a bunch on YouTube:

                        > http://www.youtube com/results? search_type= &search_query= matko+a+kubko& aq=0&oq=Matko+

                        > Oh, on a side note- the voice of the series is none other than Jozef

                        > Kroner, who also made the character Kubo (NO relation to the animated

                        > baca!) famous in the film of the same name. It is also available on STV's

                        > "Zlaty fond," and this Kubo is the one that Martin describes- the village

                        > idiot, if you will. Both are brilliantly done, though I felt bad for Kubo-

                        > the character is portrayed as obviously mentally retarded, and his

                        > mistreatment is definitely sad- and almost condoned in the film.

                        > --- On Mon, 5/4/09, Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

                        > From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>

                        > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Another saying

                        > To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                        > Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

                        > I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today.

                        > What's his "shtick"?

                        > What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional

                        > and contemporary) ?

                        > I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the

                        > coun ry's comedians.

                        > Lil

                        > On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com>

                        > wrote:

                        > > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the

                        > > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand

                        > > > his role in this saying.

                        > > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb

                        > > one.

                        > > Martin

                        > --

                        > "To be nobody but myself."