Upcoming PBS Special Wed. May 6th WWII Behind Closed Doors

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2009
      http://www.pbs.org/behindcloseddoors/

      WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West | Clip #1 | PBS

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6dX-XhQU04
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2009
        Is PBS still sad that the iron curtain came down?  I think they wanted Stalin to win.

        WWII Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West | Clip #1 | PBS

        http://www.youtube com/watch? v=N6dX-XhQU04

      • Scott Mikusko
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2009
          What's supposed to mean?

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2009
            NPR is usually like the National Peoples Republic (Pravda).

            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2009
              Scott,

              I think he just wanted to give us a measure of how open his mind is to new ideas and sources of information.

              He succeeded pretty well, no? ... though he did not contribute much to the topic.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2009
                Thanks, Ron.

                I always feel 'enlightened' after reading your retorts.  Thanks for adding so much to the conversation.

                Touche.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2009
                  I hope a few of you found it as interesting as I did. It was surprising to see the close cooperation of the Bolsheviks and the Nazis prior to the war. The show did fill in a lot of gaps in the story of the tragedy at Katyn.

                  Perhaps the most surprising for me was the bare representation of the political misjudgments by Stalin, Churchill & Roosevelt. It is amazing what twists and turns history takes, and sometimes on what small pivot points the course of events changes.

                  We are fortunate to live in times where the archives have opened and old events can be clarified. Not so surprising were the un-apologetic attitudes of the executioners and torturers.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2009
                    Thanks for the review.

                    The local affiliate in CLT opted not to broadcast the program.

                    They opted for a program titled "Reinventing Healthcare."  It was a seminar.  Typical for my local affiliate.

                    I hope a few of you found it as interesting as I did. It was surprising to see the close cooperation of the Bolsheviks and the Nazis prior to the war. The show did fill in a lot of gaps in the story of the tragedy at Katyn.

                    Perhaps the most surprising for me was the bare representation of the political misjudgments by Stalin, Churchill & Roosevelt. It is amazing what twists and turns history takes, and sometimes on what small pivot points the course of events changes.

                    We are fortunate to live in times where the archives have opened and old events can be clarified. Not so surprising were the un-apologetic attitudes of the executioners and torturers.

                  • Nick Holcz
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 8, 2009
                      I read a book about the political machinations towards the end of WW2
                      , I think it was called the last 100 days. How the allies shared out
                      the spoils giving away countries without any regard to the wishes of
                      the inhabitants. Czechoslovakia and poland come to mind.

                      Laskavy Prosim

                      Nick