RE: [Slovak-World] German words translated?

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 53 , May 3, 2009
      This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

      "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
      or I are familiar with.

      However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
      town on the Czech/Polish border.

      The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
      in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

      For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
      "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
      unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

      Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
      well, I very much assume.

      I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
      World.

      From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
      people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
      at least not in German.

      Hope that helps!"

      Dorothy