Re: [Slovak-World] Re: German words translated?

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 53 , May 2, 2009
      Joe this is super - i have always been fascinated by the kopanice - tiny family settlements  around Myjava and Vrbove and the wonderful lazy around Detva in central Slovakia - once slept atop a stove in a 200 year old home in the lazy. It was cozy sleeping on sheepskins.

      will be fun to go looking for the places they lived in Przno if anyone can identify where the old house numbers were.

      helene

      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy