Re: German words translated?

  • Curt Bochanyin
    Message 1 of 53 , May 2, 2009
      Helene,
      Here is the web site for the village giving various historical spellings:

      http://www.beskydy-valassko.cz/encyklopedie/objekty1.phtml?id=104139

      or just google Katerzinitz. The modern spelling is just Czech spelling to get the same sound.

      Rosina Adamek, daughter of Stepan Adamek, Pasakers (whatever that is) at Przno number 22, and his wife Anna Wawra(must be her maiden name) from Katerzinitz.

      I remain puzzled by the Pasakers.

      Best,
      Curt B.

      > Curt  _ I left offf an s)  - it says Rosina Adamek, tochter des Stepan Adamek, Pasekers in Przno Nr 22, un seines EheweibesAnna "Wawra von Katerzinitz
      >
      > Could you please spell out the village in morarvia without the accent marks -
      >
      > i am taking a friend there this summer and she will be so thrilled! This translation sheds new light!
      >
      > thanks for your help
      >
      > helene

    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy