RE: [Slovak-World] Re: German words translated?

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 53 , May 1, 2009
      I will write to my niece in Germany and see what she can tell us. She is
      operating a translation service and has married a German fellow. Perhaps
      there is some help there.

      Dorothy

      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy

        Any German experts out there - this is from an Evangelical church document
        in 1866

        Grundbesitzer - homeowner?

        Eheweibes - wife?

        Paseker - could this be an occupation?

        un seiners Eheweibes???? Anna Wawra von Katerzinitz - could this be her
        full name, maiden name????

        Any help is welcome!

        thanks

        helene