53rd Pittsburgh Folk Festival Canceled

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 53 , May 1, 2009
      I suppose everyone in the Pittsburgh area has heard by now, but the 53rd annual Pittsburgh Folk Festival has been canceled for this year. The Slovaks have always been participants in the past.

      Insiders told me cost is the basic reason. The rental fee and union labor rates in the convention center are very high, while donations to support the fest have dropped this year. Also, the traditional date for the festival is Memorial Day weekend, but this year another group had booked it, so the folk fest was moved to this weekend, May 1 to 3. However Pittsburgh has revived its marathon this year and scheduled it for this Sunday, which means it will be impossible to get to the convention center for most of Sunday; so the folk fest would in effect be reduced to just Friday evening and Saturday, not enough time to recoup the costs.

      So the organizers decided to scrap it for this year, and regroup for next year, maybe at a less expensive site outside the city proper.

      I wonder what all the groups with freezers full of already prepared food will do now! Probably there will have to be a spurt of small local festivals or church affairs to sell off all the food they have stored up.

      Joe
    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy