Re: [Slovak-World] Needing help with today's saying

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
      I appologize, and will do my best to translate all Slovak that I find/contribute.  I just forget, sometimes, that I am speaking Slovak. With my wife and I speaking (almost) only Slovak, and Niki answering in English (or a mix), I just take English and Slovak as givens.  I am sorry.
      To translate my post, we could say that "a guest and a fish both stink after three days."
      The "jednou nohou" quote is that he "is one foot in the grave, and yet still refuses to ask/ doesn't ask forgiveness."

      Vladi brought up a good point- there are people teaching Slovak both here and in Slovakia.  The University of Pittsburgh is the only university with a focus on Slovakia and Slovak culture resulting in a minor.  Over the summer, Pitt has the SLI (Summer Language Institute) and throughout the year, one of our most revered SW members pretty much single-handedly promotes the study of Slovak in that minor- and in the United States.   John Carrol University also has (had?) some Slovak courses.  There are the ones mentioned by Vladi in Slovakia, as well as SAS (Studia Academia Slovaca) and others.  Each of these options would provide a structured, as well as really fun, way to learn/hone/remember this beautiful language.  I don't think you will really need hypnosis- just impetus and direction :-).  It will come back, and no one is too old to learn a new language- I believe. :-).

      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 10:11 AM

      There's that plural subject/singular verb thing again. Martin has explained it to me a number of times, and each time I think that I finally understand it...until the next time, when I don't.

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 4/22/2009 8:00 AM >>>
      Funny that we should be talking about this at all... I was speaking to a friend and he used another version of this saying: je jednou nohou v hrobe, a este sa nekara...

      Speaking of sayings that "stink," Helen et al, here is one of my favorites:

      Host a ryba na treti den smrdi.
      :-)
      Ben

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
        Funny, in that example, a singular verb seems normal to me. Maybe because the nouns are three separate examples of something that breaks, and the "and" could be replaced by "or": marble, stone, or iron breaks.

        Joe

        > Marmor, Stein und Eisen bricht
        > aber unsere Liebe nicht.
        >
        > "Marble, stone, and iron it-breaks, but our love not."
        >
        > It should be _brechen_, but in order to get a rhyme with _nicht_, this
        > is so OK that no one notices, just like in the Polish and Slovak
        > examples.
        >

        > Martin
      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
          Ben,
          You already know how much respect I have for you and especially your command of the Slovak language.
          I completely understand your comment here as I often have the same experience. At times, when I am surrounded by people who do not speak Slovak and I receive a call from Slovakia, or we are listening to Slovak music and someone asks a question, I will answer in Slovak. Yet, when I am thinking about a conversation I had in Slovakia, I remember it in English.

          However, I have been told that I speak Slovak, as though I am translating directly from English. If you do not understand this, I think Martin will.
          z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          At 08:13 AM 4/21/2009, you wrote:

          >- I guess you could take as saying that someone is remaining
          >reprehensible, in spite of being even close to death, as in they
          >refuse to admit guilt even when the act is close to becoming irredeemable.
          >
          >By the way, is karat and karhat the same?
          >Ben

        • William F Brna
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
            Vilo,

            I speak Slovak fluently and found that when I was in Slovakia, with no
            conscious effort on my part, I prayed in Slovak, even when no one was
            praying with me such as when I made the Sign of the Cross.

            William F. Brna

            From: Charlotte Conjelko <charr61pribish@ yahoo.com>
            To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
            Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 7:05 PM

            Hey, All You Fluent in Slovak,

            At 08:13 AM 4/21/2009, you wrote:

            >- I guess you could take as saying that someone is remaining
            >reprehensible, in spite of being even close to death, as in they
            >refuse to admit guilt even when the act is close to becoming
            irredeemable.

            >By the way, is karat and karhat the same?
            >Ben
            >--- On Tue, 4/21/09, Helen Fedor <<mailto:hfed% 40loc.gov>hfed@...>
            wrote:

            >From: Helen Fedor <<mailto:hfed% 40loc.gov>hfed@...>
            >Subject: [Slovak-World] Needing help with today's saying
            >To: <mailto:Slovak- World%40yahoogro ups.com>Slovak- World@ yahoogroups.
            com
            >Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 10:01 AM
            >
            >"Hrobom smrdi' a es~te sa neka'ra"
            >
            >lit. (my attempt, at any rate): He/she smells of the grave and yet
            >doesn't reproach him/herself.

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 23, 2009
              > in that example, a singular verb seems normal to me.

              Indeed, human minds are driven to ascribe "meaningful" meaning to what they hear (language) no matter how unlikely it seems at first. The same applies to Slovak minds in that pan-European saying: the guest and the fish are not a couple, a unit, each of them stinks on his/its own.

              Nevertheless, these (Slovak, Polish, German) instances would be unlikely to occur in everyday language.

              Martin
            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 24, 2009
                Martin,

                I thought you might enjoy this true story:
                When a young woman, here was a "wallflower", (jumping from one man to another) she was referred to as "miss whose manska" [huzmenska].

                Hev e najs vikend

                Vilko

              • Charlotte Conjelko
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 25, 2009
                  Thanks, Ben, for considering the needs of we neophytes.
                  Charlotte

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 25, 2009
                    That's not how my dictionary defines a wallflower.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 25, 2009
                      The word is colloquial but I didn't want to use a more common, unkind term.

                      Vilo