RE: [Slovak-World] Easter greeting!

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 14, 2009
      H:

      The last thing my uncle did before he ran away from home in ME was to take the korbac off the back of the kitchen door & throw it in the woods.  It was not a joke or a toy.

      He used to say (laughingly) that if standards at this time of the previous century were in force, that my grandfather would be imprisoned for child abuse.

      The korbac was feared in my mother's household growing up.  It hung on the back of the kitchen door as a warning to the 11 (surviving) children to behave.  A child who was to be disciplined was tied to a steak out back & punished w/ the korbac on the backside.  He claims it was like a cat o' nine-tails.

      My uncle left home after he threw the korbac in the woods as far as he could at the age of fourteen, never to return home.  He claims to have done this to 'save' his brothers & sisters & to spite his father.  He lived in a barn on a dairy on the outskirts of town & worked there & put himself through the rest of grammar school.

      He was a character.  It was a tale he told & I cannot vouch for his veracity.

      Thanks for the memories.  To him & my mom & aunts & uncles, the korbac was not a light hearted matter.

      Chuck

      From: John Polko <johnpolko@rogers. com>

      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

      :Hello all,

      My mother was considered a very attractive young lady by all in her village

      of Jasenove. One year, instead of getting sprayed with water, the young

      boys and men picked her up, and deposited her in the village stream

      Regards,

      John e. Polko.

      From: Plichta <plichta@earthlink. net>

      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 11:41 AM

      Could someone translate into English what this line is all about? It

      appears to be an inside joke, but some of us (me especially), just doesn't

      get it. It would be nice to laugh along with the rest of you.

      Thanks,

      Frank

      _____

      From: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:Slovak- World@ yahoogroups.

      com] On

      Behalf Of Helen Fedor

      Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 11:16 AM

      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      Thanks, Ben! Vel'a vody a vel'a vodky!

      We Slavic women in my office (all 2 of us) took matters into our own hands

      this morning and did the honors for our "boysi," the ones hear who've come

      to know and love(?) the custom over the years we've practiced it. It seems

      we've adopted the Polish name of the custom, as it's a bit catchier:

      Szmingus dyngus (S~mingus dingus, in Slovak transliteration) . We also

      have

      to tone it down a bit as we have paper all over the place here.

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. <mailto:cerrunos1% 40yahoo.com> com>

      4/13/2009 9:19:41 AM >>>

      For all the women!

      S~iby ryby, mastne ryby!!!!!!

      SPLASH!

      Consider this the s~ibac~ka/kupac~ ka for this Easter season :-). Sorry,

      but

      I can't find a cyberspace korbac~.

      Hey, somebody had to do it on a Slovak list!!!!

      With love for yinz all.... :-D

      Ben