Re: [Slovak-World] Cookbook - Slovak (And Recipe for Paska)

    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 6, 2009
      My mom used her everyday enameled cooking pots.

      >>> jenna-m <broni03@...> 4/5/2009 1:41:53 PM >>>
      Same with my mother and grandmother...rounded loaves on sheets into the oven.
      Jenna

      From: hartlaub3@aim. com <hartlaub3@aim. com>

      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 12:55 PM

      Michelle,

      Appears my other message got lost in a black hole. This is a recipe for an Easter Bread from my grandmother. ? She left it pretty rudimentary, so I've filled in some technical items, and if you are a baker you can supply the rest.

      Easter Bread

      7 cups flour (she sifted, I don't)

      2 packages yeast, dissolved in

      1 1/2 cups warm milk

      1 tablespoon sugar

      6 yolks or 5 whole eggs, slightly beaten

      1/4 pound butter, melted

      1/3 cup sugar mixed into flour along with

      1/2 teaspoon salt

      Combine yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar when adding to warm milk.

      Add 1/2 the flour and 1/2 the butter into yeast mixture. Mix lightly.

      Add yolks and mix.

      Alternately add remaining flour and butter until all is used up.

      Knead until crackly and moist.

      Place in greased bowl and turn.

      Sprinkle with flour and cover with clean towel or waxed paper.

      Place in an oven preheated to 200 degrees F.

      Turn oven off and let rise until doubled.

      Punch down and let rise again.

      Form into rounds on greased cookie sheets.

      Cut a cross in the top.

      Bake at 375 degrees F.

      Now, she didn't say how long to bake. I use 24 minutes, but I'm at high altitude in Colorado with very little humidity.

      Linda

      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 12, 2009
        > "Hruda" was my second guess. I live, I learn.

        To add a saying, there is no royal road to learning: