Re: Folk Dress Mania

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 5 7:05 AM
      > happy I did not live at the peak of the mania.

      They were also a kind of straitjacket, a means of social manipulation. If you lived in a village whose costume "was yellow and white," you would not be socially acceptable if you loved and made for yourself one with greens, blues, and reds. Only a woman who moved into the village from elsewhere had a waiver to stick with her costume/straitjacket.

      There was much less of a mania with the clothes men actually wore on festive as well as everyday occasions in most villages. They'd been drifting towards the more universal suits for decades.

      Martin
    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy