Re: [Slovak-World] Re: New Speed Limits in Slovakia

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 5, 2009
      A google search brought up a few articles, including this one:

      http://www.generali.sk/english/news/press-releases/releases/keep-your-feet-off-the-gas-pedal-when-driving-in-slovakia.html

      Keep your feet off the gas-pedal when driving in Slovakia!

      An updating of traffic law is in effect in Slovakia starting 1st
      February 2009.
      Most important changes include speed limits, lightening and fines.
      Do not speed or fish up your purse!

      Speed limit for driving in urban area has been reduced from 60km per
      hour to only 50km per hour. On the other hand the speed limit on cross-
      town highway has been increased to 90km per hour. 130km per hour is
      the highway speed limit outside the urban area and you should not
      drive less then 80km per hour. Fines for speeding go from 150€ up to
      800€ + possible driving restriction of 3 years. Slovak policemen
      according to the law possess the authority to retain international
      driving licenses as well.
      The good news is that if you do not have enough cash with you, you can
      work your “sin” off. One hour of community service has the value of
      3€. <end of excerpt>

      There's another article at http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/34301/2/new_road_law_takes_effect.html
      ; evidently there are also new laws about winter tires, driving with
      lights on, etc.

      On Apr 5, 2009, at 9:15 AM, helene cincebeaux wrote:

      > Just heard from a friend who said there are new speed limits in
      > Slovakia with serious consequences for speeders. Hurray!!!!!!!
      >
      > Does any one have more details?
      >
      > helene

    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3 5:01 PM
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy