RE: [Slovak-World] Year of the Frog

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 3, 2009
      The old elaborate costumes were made for love of family, and for personal pride in how you present yourself to your village community. Once you start making them for sale to strangers outside the community, you'll never put in the same amount of labor, and you'll cut corners and stylize things to simplify the process.

      A Hungarian book once pointed out that the elaborate folk costumes we think of were really a fleeting thing. (The book called it a "mania.") It lasted only 4 or 5 generations (late 1800s to mid 1900s). How lucky we are to be living in these times!

      Ben, Helene will name her single favorite costume when you name your single favorite tune!

      Joe

      > Helene, you will be both glad and saddened to know that kroj makers are
      > still out there, and probably will be for a while- but the whole
      > situation has changed for the most part.  You will be hard pressed to
      > find real Ocovsky kroj, for example- but you probably can find a person
      > who makes kroj according to most/all regions.  It is no longer so well
      > based in the villages.  They really focus on the FS (folklorny subor)
      > dance groups, and therefore everything becomes- sadly- more stylized
      > according to region- and more homogenous at that.  The kroj still
      > are/probably will remain individual works of art, but you probably
      > won't see the personalization (from the maker to the wearer) that was
      > present before.  Thankfully, musical instruments are still just as
      > stylized as before, but it is NO SOLACE for people who appreciate the
      > "signatures" of the kroj-makers of old.
      >
      > I love your kroj.  As you say, picking a favorite is like picking a
      > favorite child. I have the same opinion when it comes to my flutes.....
      > Ben
    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3 5:01 PM
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy