Re: [Slovak-World] Zofia Bosniakova

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      As much as I can gather, Julie, the lord of that "Teplicke panstvo,"  Jan Jakub Lowenburg, found her remains in a crypt under a badly damaged chapel.  I just found a blurb that the arson, after seeing her on the internet,  believed her to be a witch who wasn't allowing him to sleep.
      At first, I was hoping that news story to be a April Fool's joke, but it isn't.
      Ben

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009

        Scary, 5 years in prison won't fix what's wrong with that arsonist.

        Photos here, for the interested: one of the dressed mummified corpse,
        several of the burnt insides of the coffin. Can't imagine who would
        do such an appalling deed.

        Ben, how was it that her preserved remains were "found", do you know?

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@pathbridge. net

        http://aktualne. centrum.sk/ domov/regiony/ foto.phtml? gid=100559& id=963980
        On Apr 1, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Zofia Bosniakova, a lady back in the 1600, was know for her care of
        > the poor and the sick. Legend goes that she handed out small pieces
        > of bread, individually baked, that even today are still called
        > "bosniaky."
        > Why is she so important today? Well, forty-five years after her
        > death, they found her remains- COMPLETELY INTACT, and she wasn't
        > embalmed. So, in Teplicka nad Vahom, they put her remains on
        > display in the church in 1698- and there she stayed for over 300
        > years.
        > Until today. Sorry to report, but you will now never see her
        > (again.) Someone pulled the coffin outside afound 10 am Slovak time,
        > dowsed it with an unknown flammable agent, and lit it. It burned so
        > well that there were only ashes left. The arson, a 31 year old man
        > from Zilina, can be in prison for up to five years.
        > Ben

      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Caye Caswick wrote:

          > Scary, 5 years in prison won't fix what's wrong with that arsonist.

          No, it sounds like he might be mentally ill. A great pity.

          Julie
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009

            That is EXACTLY what I was referring to, jail won't help a mental illness.

            On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Caye Caswick wrote:

            > Scary, 5 years in prison won't fix what's wrong with that arsonist.

            No, it sounds like he might be mentally ill. A great pity.

            Julie

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
              This is so sad!!! Zofia Bosnakova was one of some 181 "indestructibles" in the world, people whose bodies never decayed.  She was greatly loved when she lived several hundred years ago as she was so good to the poor. I first saw her years ago when i led a pilgrimage tour -  we found her right out in the open in a side room of the church inTeplicka nad Vahom (n.e. of Zilina) and gross as it sounds people had picked at the skin on her hands - likely taking it to revere as a relic.

              She was wizened but all there but for the hands - the next time we went i was glad to see a plexiglass cover over her body.

              To thnk that now she is gone, history erased, her good works only a memory.

              too terribly sad! and what a great loss for the devout people of the village - the church there is simply gorgeous and spectacular.

              helene