Re: [Slovak-World] Year of the Frog

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 31, 2009
      Ben- STOP (and others) do not eat those nuts-just announced they have "salmonella"!! Very dangerous.
      For some reason I could not get into the Slo World with the message. maxine Feel better

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 9:59 AM

      Ben,
      I read the book (in English) and liked it all right, but.... I don't know who that American author might be.

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 3/28/2009 12:37:38 AM >>>

      Hi all, is anyone else reading it?
      I am reading the Slovak version (3 part version) and it is good- very straightforward. I am thinking of checking out the English version to see how they changed it- but I have to admit, though it brings out some vivid imagery (I am in the "Military book" now- I know, slow reader- but read it when I have "downtime.") So far, I would suggest it to friends- but I am not as floored by it as I was by Jesensky's 'The Democrats' or by the book I read earlier- 'Mastickar (Mountebank or Quack).'

      I can't put a finger on it, but his writing reminds me of an American author..... Anyone else with an opinion? Heck, is it still going to be read?
      Ben

    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 53 of 53 , May 3, 2009
        This is the answer that I got from my niece on the word

        "Well, "paseker" is certainly not a normal German word and not one either
        or I are familiar with.

        However, from what we can see on Google, "Paseky" is the name of a Czech
        town on the Czech/Polish border.

        The inhabitants are known as "Paseker", and the adjective for anything made
        in that town or held in that town is also "Paseker".

        For example they have a musical festival there and it is known as the
        "Paseker music festival" (here is a link to a site about the festival,
        unfortunately in German: http://www.radio.cz/de/artikel/31185/limit)

        Paseker can also be a last name. Probably originating from that town as
        well, I very much assume.

        I also think I just came across the same page you are looking at in Slovak
        World.

        From what I can see there, I tend to think that "Pasekers" mean that the
        people in question were from that town. It is definitely not an occupation,
        at least not in German.

        Hope that helps!"

        Dorothy