Re: Maypoles

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 27, 2009
      Ben, on my last trip to SK in 2006, I found one lonely but pretty maypole in Moskovec (Turiec Valley).  It was in a small triangle of land formed from where several roads came together in the village.  My hosts told me that traditionally they were erected in the yards where single girls lived, but that now one is erected in a more public spot in the village.

      So when I was back in Martin at my hosts' apartment, I asked their young adult (about age 29) son if he had been involved with maypoles when he was a teenager.  He looked at me with some astonishment and told me that was a country tradition that they did not follow in the city.

      Margo

      Message 32 of 32 , May 15, 2009
        OF course Vladi will be in DETVA this year again.

        Vladi